We must be using different terminology.

As best I understood it, the hub is the center of the wheel where the axle
connects. The hubcap covers the hub. And I thought that hub motors are in the
same basic location as the hubcap, with either the stator or rotor in the wheel
and the other half in the axle.

Unsprung weight is the wheels and that which is fixed to them. Sprung weight is
the frame and that which is fixed to it. The springs connect the two.
Components, such as axles, that are fixed to both frame and wheels contribute
some of their weight to each.

At absolute best, an axle motor would be partially sprung and partially
unsprung. But once you put the motor in the wheel, in the hub, it's entirely
unsprung.

b&