Ben Goren via EV wrote:
They might be open to keeping the window A/C unit in the garage for
the purposes of keeping the batteries cool. Seems like that might be
the only other measure worth considering.

I live in Minnesota, where we have the opposite problems with our garages -- keeping them *warm*!

My house had the usual bare 2"x4" stud walls, with no insulation, no inside sheathing on the walls, and only drywall on the ceiling.

I added 4" of fiberglass insulation; that barely helped. I added 8" fiberglass to the ceiling; that helped noticeably. Then I added 1/4" polystyrene panels to the wall, and covered them with masonite pegboard (for protection, and so I can hang tools etc. on them). That helped even more. The mass inside the garage (mainly the concrete floor) meant that even without heat, the closed garage stayed at about the average of the day/night temperature.

And, I could heat it about 40 deg.F with a pair of 240vac 15amp electric heaters. That was OK for cool weather (like 30 deg.F outside, 70 deg.F inside. Last year I broke down and installed a small gas furnace. Now I can heat it to 70 deg.F even when it's 0 deg.F outside.

Maybe if you insulated the garage, then a small window air conditioner would have no trouble keeping it reasonably cool.

Or, could you add some passive thermal mass inside the garage; rock, or a few dozen 5-gal jugs full of water (closed, just for their thermal mass)?

--
The greatest pleasure in life is to create something that wasn't
there before. -- Roy Spence