I'm on my 4th iteration of air-conditioning scheme.  The latest is building
a controller to run a 2nd gen prius a/c compressor. I have a thread going
on DIYecar here:
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-controller-04-09-prius-c-140346.html

It's worked well so far at up to 105F outside despite speed limitations
(due to only a 144v pack) and power draw was only about 1.5kW.  I just got
it working a few months ago so we'll see if it lasts the summer.

Just some initial thoughts, I spent a lot of time/money flushing the hoses
and heat exchangers to get all the PAG oil out (eats at the motor windings
apparently).  Also spent extra money on having new hoses made.  Since
you'll be starting from scratch, you won't have to do either if you go the
prius compressor route.  Also, if you'd rather avoid hacking a controller
together, you could hack the communication protocol to the 3rd gen prius
compressor which has its controller built in.

Previous attempts were:
- ice water and a fan.  was easy to try, but laughable for phoenix.
- use a single phase compressor out of a 5000 BTU window a/c unit with a
homemade inverter - not enough cooling capacity, need more like 10k-12k
BTU/hr.
- use a 3.5 HP treadmill motor to run the original a/c compressor.  Failed
miserably, not enough power to even get it turning past a few RPM.
- use a 5 HP single phase 240VAC air compressor motor to turn the original
a/c compressor powered by a homemade 240VAC single phase inverter.  The
motor is readily available, so reasonably cheap.  This setup worked well
from a cooling perspective, but terribly inefficient and drew 3-4 kw on the
hottest days and not much less on the warm days.  My electronics failed on
its second summer, so I spent the winter working on the prius a/c project.

A friend of mine has a porsche and belt drives his compressor off the tail
shaft of the drive motor.  It was easy to do, but is about as inefficient
as my attempt to use a second motor to drive the original a/c compressor.
And, gotta rev the motor while at a stop light to keep the compressor going.
http://electricporsche924.blogspot.com/2014/09/ac-update.html

Joe