% 6kW onboard L2 charging ability, still no L3 ability %

http://www.torquenews.com/1/why-i-bought-ford-focus-electric-after-researching-all-electric-cars
Why I Bought Ford Focus Electric After Researching All Electric Cars
By Brian Lewis  2015-06-06

[image
http://www.torquenews.com/sites/default/files/image-%5Buid%5D/%5Btitle-raw%5D/2015_ford_focus_electric.jpg
(focus)
]

Nothing is ever perfect when it comes to electric cars. Be it range limits,
exterior aesthetics, sales price, or quick charging capabilities, an
electric vehicle with the total package just does not exist. But a drawback
here and there was not going to stop me from owning a Ford Focus Electric.

Spurred by a college friend’s Facebook post about the first year owning a
Tesla Model S, I began really looking at what EVs were all about. I was
getting 13 mpg in my 2004 Dodge Dakota and I did not just want a “new” car.
I was not going to buy gas anymore, so I was only looking into going pure
electric.

I researched them all – Nissan, Fiat, BMW, Cadillac, VW, Mercedes,
Mitsubishi, Smart Car, Chevrolet, Kia and Ford. Not one perfect choice among
this group, but several very likable options, including my personal
preference leader, the Ford Focus Electric (FFE).

That is when I discovered that my options were very limited up here in the
Pacific Northwest. I could basically get a Leaf, a Model S or an i3 by
walking onto their respective lots. Everything else was either impossible to
get or would take some creativity. It did not seem practical to fly down to
California and haul back my new EV on a flatbed. I was also unsure if I
would miss out on some of the EV-based incentives by buying out-of-state.

Then in November 2014, I began seeing used Ford Focus Electrics (FFE) at
some Seattle-area dealerships. There were many reasons for not wanting a
used EV, not least of which was eligibility for the tax incentives. So I
inquired about when the ‘15s would be available. I was again stunted by the
explanation that Ford was only producing the car for no-emissions compliant
states, but that I could place an order for one if I was willing to wait.

After test driving a used ‘13 model in February 2015, I decided to place an
order for Ford to build me a 2015 model. My tuxedo black 2015 FFE arrived 14
weeks later on Memorial Day and the purchase was made. Two weeks later, I’ve
driven my 500th gas-free mile and I’m still blown away.

Never before have I driven a car with such smooth acceleration, rapid
deceleration (due to regeneration and excellent brakes), and nimble handling
which I haven’t experienced since my old Honda Civic Si in college. The
ninja-like stealth electric motor has 143 HP and can go 0-60 in eight
seconds, which is longer than most rodeo bull riders can stay upright, but
it gets the job done. The 23-kWh battery is rated to produce 76 miles of
range, but based on my initial driving habits; I’ve been getting full charge
ranges in the mid-90s. I expect this is due to limited freeway travel to
this point.

Since Ford has done little to sell its Focus Electric beyond compliance car
states, I know that I am rolling in rarity for the time being amongst the
Leafs and Prius on the road. And while it looks very much like a typical ICE
hatchback, I still get the curious stares and double takes from other
drivers.

The voice-activated SYNC system works great as does the mobile app that
allows you to monitor charging, trip plan and precondition the cabin from
afar. With heated leather seats, sharp interior design, multi-color ambient
lighting and a phenomenal stereo I find the FFE to be all luxury at a
respectable price.

The two drawbacks with the FFE are the absence of both a quick charge port
and cargo space. The main battery pack is under the lift gate, reducing
hatch cargo space by 39 percent, to just 14.5 cubic feet. I recently went to
Lowe’s for some yard supplies and used my creativity to get home a shovel, a
hanging flower pot and three bags of soil. The electric motor encompasses
all the room under the hood.

I admit, it would be so nice to be able to charge in 20 minutes, but it is
not a requirement for my daily driving needs. Maybe it is for yours. The car
comes with a charging cable for 110v plugs, but a 240v is definitely
recommended. Since I drive on average 26 miles per day, I usually charge
every few evenings. Plug it in and walk away.

Overall, the FFE has been the best car experience I’ve ever had. Heck, it
may be the best thing I’ve ever owned. The car is roomy, stylish,
inexpensive to operate, addictingly fun to drive… all in all I can’t imagine
a better car to own and use as a daily driver. While I foresee keeping at
least one ICE vehicle in the future, I can very easily see 95% of our family
driving coming from pure EV vehicles. Five hundred miles in, the FFE gets an
A from this owner – as close to perfection as I could get.
[© torquenews.com]
http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/trim/electric/
FFE
[dated]
http://blog.caranddriver.com/hocus-focus-more-pricing-details-for-the-2015-ford-focus-than-you-ever-wanted-to-know/
Hocus Focus: More Pricing Details for the 2015 Ford Focus than You Ever
Wanted to Know
http://www.cnet.com/products/2015-ford-focus-electric/
2015 Ford Focus Electric review
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=976
Focus Electric Forum - (D & L driving modes)

For EVLN posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/

http://www.greentechlead.com/electric-vehicle/regulations-point-to-ev-expansion-in-israel-uae-24041
Regulations point to EV expansion in Israel, UAE
http://www.greentechlead.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Stand_Up_Scooter_Israel.jpg

http://www.tehachapinews.com/news/2015/06/04/tehachapi-l2-ev-charging-station-now-operational.html
Tehachapi-CA dual L2 EVSE now operational
http://www.tehachapinews.com/image/2015/06/03/740x600_q90_w/EV-1-jpg.jpg
+
EVLN: Shifting between Drive and DriveEco> drives like a Leaf EV racer

{brucedp.150m.com}