We already covered how to tell is a cell has internal defects. You drain the
cell to 2.5 volts and then if the cell voltage rises it's good if it keeps
falling don't use it. I did think this up This is what NASA does. I read it in
one of their presentations. I can dig it up if you like.

As for the Dreamliner I followed that carefully. My favorite chart that they
presented to the FAA said
- the only thing that causes lithium battery fires is overchargeing
- we can find no evidence we are over charging
- therefore the cause of the fire is unknown

One of those statements has to be wrong. And the fire was the evidence of
overcharging.

The open circuit voltage of their battery was 29.6 volts. The system voltage
was 32 volts. They were charging the cells the whole time the APU was running
and wondering why it burned.

As for laptops they were overcharging as well. The paper I read the designer
claimed that leaving a small amount of current flowing or trickle charge as
they call it would not hurt lithium batteries.

Sent from my iPad