From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of EVDL Administrator via
EV
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2015 3:51 PM
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] adding solar charging to 12 volt battery on LEAF

On 16 Jul 2015 at 9:12, harry henderson via EV wrote:

> my main question is if the solar charging will damage the existing 12
> volt battery or do i need to put in a true deep cycle battery to replace it?

I can't think of any reason that that solar charging it would damage it.
Can anyone else?

In any application whether you choose a deep cycle or SLI (starting, lighting,
ignition) battery depends on the use of the battery, not on how it's charged.

An SLI battery is designed for many shallow cycles starting an ICE.  With most
EVs that have DC:DC converters, the house battery is used in much the same way.
 In fact it's even less stressed, since it's only there to close the main
contactor.  That should take much less energy than cranking an ICE.
As soon as the contactor is closed, the DC:DC is recharging the house battery
-- or should be.

The question here is, why aren't house batteries lasting?  Is the Leaf not
properly charging it?  Could it be that the dealer supplied batteries are junk?

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator

= =
Note: mail sent to "evpost" and "etpost" addresses will not reach me.  To send
a private message, please obtain my email address from the webpage
http://www.evdl.org/help/ .