On Aug 5, 2015, at 8:18 AM, len moskowitz via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> 60 pounds of battery for 1000 miles of range

Before you get too excited...these batteries are not rechargeable. They work by
combining the aluminum in the battery with atmospheric oxygen -- essentially,
they burn the aluminum, releasing electrons in the process, and leaving behind
aluminum oxide. The process isn't reversible -- at least, not by simply
plugging it into the wall. You'd have to re-refine the aluminum oxide into
metallic aluminum...which is a notoriously energy-intensive operation,
something that was practically impossible before the invention of the induction
furnace.

I don't know what the recycling efficiency is of these batteries, but I'm sure
it's nowhere near the ~80%+ of a typical rechargeable battery's duty cycle. As
such, though I'm sure these batteries will serve a vital purpose in the
not-too-distant future...I'm also pretty sure that purpose won't be as an EV's
primary traction battery.

b&