It’s an interesting problem that I believe has a moving target since in
some places you get paid retail for your excess electrons but in other
jurisdictions you get paid a fraction of retail.  The power companies
if they had their way would pay a pittance for your excess and then
sell you back the electrons at retail.

There is some justification for this since they don’t always need
your excess.  Having too much excess power but no control over
when it’s being offered can be a big problem.  If you have a bright
windy day and lots of solar and wind being dumped into the grid
and then get a sudden drop in wind and a cloud rolling overhead
the system will need to have peaking plants on standby to take
over the load.  Idling these plants is expensive, maybe more
so than just suppling the power from traditional sources.

A grid that had distributed power storage and access to several ideally
clean energy sources would end up being the most stable.  If you have
your own battery bank you can keep the lights on during a power failures
for sure but you can also run on your own ‘free’ electrons, sell the excess
to the grid if you have them, buy them back if you need them but maybe
at a lower off peak rate and potentially offer them back at a premium if the
grid asks for them.

This would allow for basically five price points:
$0.00           You don’t need the grid, the grid does not need you.
        Here the grid is operating below optimal with room to move up but
        not down.

$low-buy                You do need the grid, the grid has excess.
        Here the grid is operating below optimal and can efficiently offer
        you more electrons.

$high-buy       You do need the grid, the grid is peaking.
        Here you have run low and the grid is operating above optimal
        and drawing on other, maybe stored sources to make up the difference.

$low-sell               You have excess and the grid has the capacity to accept.
        Here you have excess and the grid is operating above optimal and
        can save money buy accepting your extra.

$high-sell              You have excess and the grid is peaking so needs extra.
        Here you have extra and the grid is peaking and requesting extra
        from stored sources, you offer some of your stored energy in
        exchange for a higher value.

So in my estimation it is the bi-directional grid tie with with distributed
local storage and net metering is a the win-win situation.

There was a lot of discussion some time back about Vehicle to Grid
(VTG) solutions where electric cars become part of the distributed
storage.  If you integrate vehicles and possibly stationary batteries
you could reach a point where there was enough storage to shut
down some of the dirty generating stations entirely, not just the peaking
plants.

Lawrence