[ref
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Employer-EVSE-installations-vs-near-future-trends-tp4678014.html
Employer EVSE installations ...
]

>From:    Chris Tromley
 Date:    Sun, 11 Oct 2015
-Never seen a Supercharger station<

 The SuperEVSE closest to the Philadelphia, PA suburbs:

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/45454
(North: near Trenton, PA & Hwy 195&130)

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/12163
(South: near Newark, PA & Hwy 95)

>There are some receptive ears at work and there is a substantial
parking lot expansion coming up, so I convinced them to at least plan for
getting some power out there.  And I, being the closest thing they have to
an expert on EVSE, would get back to them with my recommendations<

 First, I want to look at what your EVSE needs are. I will assume your iMiev
has a 3kW L2 on-board charger
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

 And you carry along with you your portable iMiev L1 EVSE
http://www.audiovideo2go.com/mitsubishi-i-miev-portable-charger/?gclid=CJ7a9sLcusgCFQMJaQodoiwP-g

 And you have not upgraded that L1 to also provide L2 3kW using
http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&products_id=8
EVSE Upgrade for Mitsubishi i-MiEV

 Some research told me of your home-work commute from 19072 to 18974
possibly via I-276 W and PA-309 S, which would make for a ~25mi 1way
commute. That is near half-way on the iMiev EV's range. Looking at that
area's annual weather:
https://weatherspark.com/averages/31282/Philadelphia-Pennsylvania-United-States

 During your cold weather, your range will be less. Driving through snow,
slush, and mud will also use extra energy. So are justified in making a
effort to get charging at work so you will have enough energy to return
home.

 You mentioned that it is an EVSE desert where you are, but using the free
website/app plugshare.com , I found some public EVSE you could use, here are
a few:

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/38117
Blink 6kW L2 $0.39 to $0.49 pkWh

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/1848
L3&2

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/19078
L2

>my main concern -
-200 mile range EVs ... will have much less need for at-work EVSE.<

 IMO, not necessarily. Charging at work, airport, train & bus stations, or
anywhere where your EV is parked for hours should offer EVSE.

>-Is there going to be a shift toward residential EVSE?<

 A shift? There is going to be continued growth for EVSE installations at
apt., condos, and townhouses. evercharge.net , NRG EVgo, ChargePoint are a
few of the businesses filling that need. The price of EVSE is also a
limiting factor of how many home EVSE are installed.

 But I do not see this a limiting factor to having work site EVSE. Even if
your company wanted to limit the power drawn to L1, it would make a
significant difference in keeping employee's EVs fit to return home.

>My gut tells me my employer (with a head count of around 300) should
-lay power for three EVSE spots and install one, situated so two to four
parking spaces can use it. Add others as/when needed.  These would likely be
at the back of the lot, near an outbuilding that already has power.
Thoughts?<

 That is not a bad approach. I used google maps to look at the parking lot
of your work. I will assume you have looked at where the least preferred
parking spots are (way in the back, farthest to walk).

>Pros and cons of different layouts (serving side-by-side spaces or one in
the middle of two spaces on each side of a parking row)?<

 Your current parking has long rows of two cars facing each other on each
side. This would allow you to install one EVSE stand in the center of four
parking spaces.

 Your idea of running the power for several EVSE but initially only
installing one EVSE head for you is a frugal approach that seems to make
good business sense. Depending on the EVSE brand, adding more EVSE head
units should be a simple hookup, if the power has already been run up to
that point.

 There are two light poles in the very back of your work parking lot. At the
end of the parking row between a light pole and what looks like a storage
container is where the first (quad) EVSE could be located. For the future,
the second (quad) EVSE would be at the end of the next parking row over
closer to the second light.

 Initially, the trenches running over sized conduit (for pulling future
additional power lines, use larger conduit than initially needed) to those
locations, and the cement pad at each, along with just the one EVSE-head
would be your company's initial cost. As more employee EV drivers ask for
charging, it would simple to add more EVSE-heads. All the hard-work has been
already done in the initial out lay, allowing additional EVSE to be
incrementally installed as needed.

 Signage is an important part of any installation. It communicates that
specific spaces are only for EV use. Very store wording with red lettering
is the only way to go. Here are some example signs:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39554&d=1388527586

http://wamu.org/sites/wamu.org/files/styles/headline_landscape/public/images/attach/03.27.12news-gould-ev-charging-edit.jpg?itok=4lZrIdWQ

http://www.stopsignsandmore.com/images/Product/large/2004.gif

 Signage should be clearly viable through an ice- driver's windshield
(in-their-face). The sign should be mounted at about the 5 ft level. In CA,
it is required to have painting on the asphalt, but of all the people I have
talked to, they ignore what is on the ground and only pay attention to the
no-parking/tow-away signage. You will need to spend time finding out the EV
parking signage requirements for your area/state.

 But how long are the EVs going to be allowed to be plugged in? Already
posted was about a company limiting the price to 4 hours before there is a
price jump in the use-fee that makes the driver want to come out and
disconnect to save money. That might be an easy thing to do where the
weather is always temperate.

 But I will assume that is not such a great thing when the weather is cold,
wet, snowy, stormy. Perhaps initially, until there are more employees that
want access that EVSE, you might want to allow employees to stay plugged in
for their (8hr) shift. That will simplify your initial phase of having EVSE
at work, as someone (a manager?) would have to spend time
over-seeing/dealing-with these issues. At sometime in the future, when there
are several employees jockeying for charging, then some form of management
of EVSE resources will need to be put in place.

>-Charging rate - what's really needed?<

 This could mean two different things:
 The amount of power provided, or the cost of the power used.

 Here on the west coast housing is dense, so incredibly people commute very
long distances to and from work, spending too many hours in the day driving.
Whereas, your (~25mi) commute to work is close to ideal.

 Lets use the 80mi Leaf with a 24kWh pack as a template. It recharges off
3kW L2 in 8 hours. Half its range ~40miles is at most what owners would be
arriving to work with. Charging at 3kW (208VAC 15A) would be ~10mi
replenished per hour, or in 4 hours the EV would recoup its charge
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=12752

 Charging at L1 (120VAC 11A 1.3kW) about 4mi are recouped per hour of charge
http://www.plugincars.com/electric-car-quick-charging-guide.html
 after an 8hr L1 charge, the EV would regain 32miles back.

 The employer needs to know the cost of the power is very cheap, and it is
not like the cost of gallons of gasoline. The cost of installing a level-1
(5-20) outlet vs a 3kW level-2 (6-20) outlet is the same. The cost of
wiring, outlets, breakers are about the same
http://www.acdcusa.com/82205-industrial-grade-duplex-receptacle-ivory-20a-250v/?gclid=CNTj64LzusgCFVclgQodjmADcw
$4 dual 6-20 (L2) receptacle

http://www.westwayelectricsupply.com/co1-weatherproof-cover-rectangular-outlet-cover-single-gang.html?gclid=CKSot430usgCFQeKaQodM4ADkg
$3 weather tight cover for (above) receptacle

 Costs go significantly go up when a 6kW or higher outlet is required.
Larger wiring, costly outlets, breakers and sub-panels, etc.

 IMO, 3kW charging should be sufficient for the majority of EVs' needs.
Higher range-capacity EVs can top off at an outside L3 EVSE on their own if
they want.

 The cost of Electricity in Philadelphia-PA is $0.16kWh
http://www.bls.gov/regions/mid-atlantic/news-release/averageenergyprices_philadelphia.htm
 For large power users like your company, it likely will cost less per kWh
(utilities usually give large power uses a break, while residences pay a
higher price).

 All pay-as-you-go (use-fee) EVSE should be set to a pkWh rate, and not by
the hour. It is more fair for both the employer and the driver.
The rate should be the cost of the Electricity, plus an additional cost to
offset the initial cost outlay of the installation, and any future repairs
that will be incurred.

 Also, the rate the employer chooses should compare (if not lower) than what
nearby public EVSE is costing. Public EVSE near your work site range from
$0.34pkWh to $0.49pkWh.

IMO in your case, double your Electricity rate, $0.32pkWh (or $1/hr) would
be fair, and would keep employees happy at work. Initially, companies have
found it cheaper to let charging be free, and wait until there are more
employees charging to warrant the overhead costs of payroll deductions, and
management there of, etc.

>-recommendations for commercial-use EVSE?<

 For the business that wants their j1772 EVSE as cheap as possible and do
not care about logging EVSE use or having the driver pay for using the EVSE,
home EVSE that is designed for outdoor use is the least costly.

 A Kaiser Hospital parking garage near me uses an iMiev as their security
patrol vehicle. They have allocated a parking space in the back with a low
cost 3kW L2 EVSE and simple do not park here signage. They do not have a way
to monitor the EVSE's use or the power it uses, and they figure they save
effort and money by not doing that.

 But most businesses end up with a bean-counting manager that wants to know
how much an EVSE is being used, how much power is consumed and what time of
day (because of peak power costs), and a way to redirect any EVSE use costs
back to the driver (think of it as a way for their job justification).

 To do that (above) requires a more expensive EVSE that has use logging and
a network capability to do both remote data management, and use-fee
transactions. Typically this is the type of public EVSE driver find that
require a rfid card to access them (Chargepoint, NRG eVgo, greenlots,
semaconnect, blink, etc.). Their rfid is connected to a payment method, so
that when a driver uses it there is a flow of cash via the EVSE company with
money flow to the EVSE company and the owner of the EVSE (a public parking
garage, a parking lot, a businesses or shopping center's parking lot, etc.).
See
http://a6b6a4d850da023e34c0-ffd458871468d7801be60d93d5d79b26.r30.cf2.rackcdn.com/46146.jpg
 Stanford Shopping Center originally had two cheap non-networked 3kW L2 EVSE
in their parking structure. Later, they replaced them
http://a6b6a4d850da023e34c0-ffd458871468d7801be60d93d5d79b26.r30.cf2.rackcdn.com/40196.jpg
 with two more expensive networked Chargepoint CT2100 6kW L2 EVSE. Now the
shopping mall can monitor EVSE use and require a use-fee from drivers
wanting to charge while their spend way-too-much money at expensive stores.

 Networked EVSE costs for both the additional hardware, and a monthly
network fee the host (owner) has to pay for. If you plan for anyone and
everyone to come pay to use your public EVSE the (above) networked EVSE is
the way to go.

 But some work sites have a small amount of employees wanting to charge, and
may also not want the outside public to come on their property to use their
employee's EVSE.

 Here in Silicon Valley, High tech companies use having EVSE for their
employees as a perk to keep them from wanting to leave the company (they
keep valuable talent). These companies spent beau-coup on expensive EVSE and
networking, yet for the employee's it is free.  Security is an issue at some
companies, and some non-employee trying to get a charge is not what security
wants.

 See
http://a6b6a4d850da023e34c0-ffd458871468d7801be60d93d5d79b26.r30.cf2.rackcdn.com/15297.jpg
 This is a view of the restricted private EVSE at Facebook site in Menlo
Park, CA. If you try to use it and you do not look like you work for
Facebook, security will see you on their camera, chase you down, and give
you grief (its their SOP).

 Another way to keep drivers from using your company's EVSE is to use an
off/rare brand (where no one has their rfid card).

 See
http://a6b6a4d850da023e34c0-ffd458871468d7801be60d93d5d79b26.r30.cf2.rackcdn.com/8321.jpg
 This a Community College that uses GE's EVSE and network. Most drivers in
that area do not carry a GE card. Also GE is different than other EVSE.
Calling their toll free telephone number does not allow you to pay right
then and get a charge, they want to postal mail you a rfid card after you
have paid their use-fee (werid). Lastly, GE EVSE is almost as unreliable as
Blink's (read the driver's comments on that plugshare listing).

 If you walk through the plugshare listings for your area, reading the
driver's comments, you will get to know what EVSE brands have the most
problems.

 What I have seen is blink has the most and the longest repair turn around.
Next worst is semaconnect though they are better now than before (the
Walmart Drug stores in your area all use semaconnect, and those seem to have
less downtime issues).

 The major networked EVSE player in your area is Chargepoint (no surprise
there). From what I understand or have seen, chargepoint EVSE hardware and
their networking fees cost more than other EVSE brands. But it seems you get
what you pay for (higher cost = more reliability/up-time, and support).

 The (above) Facebook EVSE image shows a top of the line CT4000 dual 6kW L2
coupler EVSE. This EVSE is the only one that will let you feed it with only
one 6kW power feed, and it can control how the power is distributed. In that
power sharing configuration, with one EV connected all 6kW power is
available. If two EVs are connected, then each only get 3kW. The CT4000 can
also be fed two 6kW power sources, and configured to provide 6kW to each
coupler without any power sharing circuitry used (you pay more = you get
more).

 Chargepoint has partnered with other EVSe hardware companies to allow their
non-chargepoint EVSE hardware to network using Chargepoint's network.

 See
http://www.chargepoint.com/charging-partners/
Schneider and Eaton EVSE hardware can use the Chargepoint network

 See
http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/18843
 This is another College, but they use the cheaper (than Chargepoint)
Schneider EVSE on the Chargepoint network (you use your Chargepoint rfid
card to turn them on). Also note their signage, see
http://a6b6a4d850da023e34c0-ffd458871468d7801be60d93d5d79b26.r30.cf2.rackcdn.com/61801.jpg
 they too limit charging to 4 hours, but if you read the driver comments,
while Schneider EVSE had no failures, they is a failure by campus security
to ticket and tow-away 4+hr violators.

 Here is a price for Schneider EVSE:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Schneider-Electric-EVlink-30-Amp-Level-2-Outdoor-Dual-Unit-Pedestal-Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Station-EV230PDR/203404689?cm_mmc=Shopping|VF&gclid=CILQ5srNu8gCFYgCaQodhswDlg&gclsrc=aw.ds

>-Indicators on the EVSE to show if charging?<

 Semaconnect EVSE hardware can show different colored leds to show charging,
etc. Blue= available, Green= giving a charge, etc.
http://www.semaconnect.com/features/
http://www.semaconnect.com/the-network/for-ev-drivers/
http://www.semaconnect.com/applications/corporations/

 Semaconnect can use plugshare's payment via smartphone method:
http://pay.plugshare.com/
http://faq.plugshare.com/article/5-how-do-i-pay

 See this plugshare listing
http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/43109
 that shows two semaconnect EVSE hardware with two different status colors
http://a6b6a4d850da023e34c0-ffd458871468d7801be60d93d5d79b26.r30.cf2.rackcdn.com/43320.jpg
(read the driver comments on that plugshare listing).

>-Do any of these have a network connection to email the EV-driver
employees?  What are the little details of living with EVSE that can be
optimized with a little forethought?<

 Yes, some EVSE networks offer a way via an app to either text or email you
an alert or allow you access to know the status of your charge, etc.:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/nissan-electric/helpful-apps-for-ev-owners/343146259057411

 Many of these apps are mainly focused to access plugshare data, only some
of these offer access to know your SOC:

http://appcrawlr.com/ios-apps/best-apps-ev-charging

https://na.chargepoint.com/driver_faq

http://www.blinknetwork.com/mobile.html

 Here is an interesting item in your area. A non-major EVSE network brand
Greenlots using Eaton EVSE hardware. See

http://greenlots.com/Sky-network/#chargingstations
http://greenlots.com/Sky-network/

  Here is a price for Eaton EVSE:
https://www.google.com/search?q=eaton+evse&biw=1024&bih=626&tbm=shop&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMIufKT7Mu7yAIVCo0NCh3_9AKj&dpr=1#q=eaton+evse&tbs=vw:l,mr:1,price:1,ppr_min:2000,p_ord:p&tbm=shop

 See:
http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/13117
Trolley Car Diner Greenlots EVSE on plugshare

http://a6b6a4d850da023e34c0-ffd458871468d7801be60d93d5d79b26.r30.cf2.rackcdn.com/81934.jpg
Eaton EVSE shown

http://a6b6a4d850da023e34c0-ffd458871468d7801be60d93d5d79b26.r30.cf2.rackcdn.com/49553.jpg
Here is an iMiev using Eaton EVSE on Greenlots' network at $2/hr for a
charge. $2per hour at 3kWh translates to $0.66pkWh (not cheap). If your EV
can charge at 6kW, then it is more affordable at $0.33pkWh.

 NRG eVgo is not big your area, see
http://www.nrgevgo.com/find-a-station
 I only found one plugshare listing near you. See
http://www.nrgevgo.com/tag/nissan-leaf/
QUAKER BRIDGE MALL OPENS NRG EVgo

Nor did I find an eVgo app like you asked for that shows your SOC or give
alerts.

 Here is an EVSE network guide, but it is dated from 2014:
http://www.plugincars.com/ultimate-guide-electric-car-charging-networks-126530.html

 In doing all of this research to answer your questions, I came across a
different approach to work site EVSE. EVSE company AeroVironment has their
TurboDock product which builds on their Turbocord EVSE (a cheaper portable
EVSE that runs off either L1 120VAC 1.3kW or L2 3kW). See
http://www.evsolutions.com/turbocord

BTW, if your company decides to initially go super cheap and not install a
j1772 EVSE head, and only give you the less costly solution I mentioned
above (a 6-20 duplex outlet separately wired to offer two separate L2 3kW
outlets for two EVs to use), you could buy a Turbocord EVSE and use it at
work for a faster and better charge than your portable L2 EVSE that came
with your iMiev EV.

 Back to TurboDock, see
http://www.evsolutions.com/turbodock

 TurboDock EVSE can provide either L2 3kW or it can be set to provide L1. It
is configurable via a Bluetooth4 connection from a smartphone. It does not
use an EVSE network. Instead it lets a business set the TurboDock EVSE to
either:
-require an employee's individual 4 digit pin code
-require a 4 digit pin that will work on any of the TurboDock EVSE you have
(one pin works on all)
-or you can set the TurboDock to open that does not require a pin.

You can start with dual pedestal TurboDock EVSE and add more ports later as
the number of EV drivers increase. Below links show the cost of a two,
three, and four EVSE purchase. Buying the quad (4) model is cheaper in the
long run:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TurboDock-20-ft-16-Amp-120-240-Volt-Commercial-Workplace-EV-Charging-Stations-with-Dual-Wall-Mount-20088-020-Dual-Wall-Mount/205875327?cm_mmc=Shopping|VF&gclid=CLbQ1aDQu8gCFQEMaQodVt4F4Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
~$3.1k AeroVironment TurboDock commercial/workplace 3kW L2 or L1 dual (2)
EVSE (Bluetooth 4.0 Phone controlled)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TurboDock-20-ft-16-Amp-120-240-Volt-Commercial-Workplace-EV-Charging-Stations-with-Triple-Pedestal-20088-020-Triple-Ped/205875336?cm_mmc=Shopping|VF&gclid=CJz58KvSu8gCFZSCaQodOBAFXA&gclsrc=aw.ds
~$4.4k TurboDock triple (3) EVSE

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TurboDock-20-ft-16-Amp-120-240-Volt-Commercial-Workplace-EV-Charging-Stations-with-Quad-Pedestal-20088-020-Quad-Ped/205875337?cm_mmc=Shopping|VF&gclid=CJnSmO3Qu8gCFQUFaQodfZwHzg&gclsrc=aw.ds
~$5.7k TurboDock quad (4) EVSE

 Here are the app for TurboDock:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aerovironment.turbodockaccesscontrol
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/turbodock/id947588432?mt=8

 I suggest you view the video below:
[video
https://youtu.be/T_EZJA9rTMU
Turbodock: Introducing Our New Workplace and Commercial EV Charging Station
AeroVironment Inc.
Subscribe620 Aug 25, 2015
Find out about TurboDock, an innovative workplace and commercial EV charging
station designed by AeroVironment's EV Solutions Team, the makers of
TurboCord.

If you'd like to have EV charging stations installed at your workplace, get
in touch with us at http://turbodock.com or http://evsolutions.com

TurboDock is a low cost workplace and commercial electric vehicle charging
station with Bluetooth enabled access control. Now you can easily control
access to your charging stations right from your smartphone.

TurboDock's modular nature gives you the option to mount up to 4 chargers
per pedestal and up to 2 chargers per wall-mount. It also allows you to
conveniently expand the number of chargers over a period of time. TurboDock
is sized perfectly for recharging Plug-In Hybrids and EVs in less than 4
hours at Level 2 16amps /240VAC optimizing your electrical service. It can
also be configured to charge at Level 1 120VAC 1.3kW, if you desire.

TurboDock is configurable to provide simple access control however you want.
You can give a universal access code to all users or an individual access
code per user. Or you can leave TurboDock for open access. With the app, you
can easily switch between Access Control and Open Access at the flick of a
button. Finally, TurboDock is upgrade-able so next generation software can
easily be downloaded through the smartphone app.
]

 Here are some more EVSE to explore:
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#tbm=shop&q=evse%20charger&tbs=vw%3Al%2Cmr%3A1%2Cprice%3A1%2Cppr_min%3A2000%2Cppr_max%3A&spd=0

% Time to not blow my horn, but pull it out and show it before I put it away
again %

 Some may know I have a keen interest in charging. So much so, after taking
advantage of my (hp) work policy (set up by the founders), allowing me to
request access to outlets to charge my own EV at work. Here is my second
work place EVSE (outlets) installation at the Sunnyvale site (now
sold-off/defunct), see:
http://brucedp.150m.com/history/bruce_parmenter04.jpg

My first EVSE installation at work was at the Cupertino site: also sold-off,
to Apple and ripped out for their new space-ship style building where Apple
is working on their Auton-EV).

 I got permission from Corporate to represent the company by making
work-place charging presentations at other companies and at other public
functions (spreading the EV-cause), see
http://brucedp.150m.com/history/bruce_parmenter10.jpg
 Those were pre-Internet days, so presentations used color laser-jet printed
overhead slides/transparencies.

 Later a couple of co-workers let me get some photos of them and my EV to
use as car-kittens to turn ice-head's minds around (those were pre-NEDRA.com
days):
http://brucedp.tripod.com/blazer/blazer92-01o.jpg
http://brucedp.150m.com/history/bruce_parmenter02.jpg

 Later, I dropped even more money on my EV, to update my pack configuration,
and add six chargers to up my charging capability to 22kW, see
http://brucedp.tripod.com/blazer/012a.jpg

 Now I could use whatever power that available and push my range distance
far beyond most conversions at that time (there were no production EVs at
that time). Here is a shot of my updated blazer EV showing SF's Golden Gate
bridge in the background as I attended a SF Presidio EVent, see
http://brucedp.150m.com/history/bruce_parmenter05.jpg

 My work site charge allowed me to have a visiting EV park and charge at my
work site space,
http://brucedp.150m.com/history/bruce_parmenter08.jpg
MaryAnn Chapman's EcoElectric Desert Lightning e-Truck

 Note: MaryAnn Chapman along with Clare Bell should both be added to the
list of EV pioneers. Read the Aug 1996 paper issue of EAA Current EVents
scanned as a .pdf
http://www.econogics.com/ev/EAA/Old_CE_Issues/Current_EVents_199608.pdf

Before their was wireless access to the Internet on phones and tablets, I
used a binder of printed slides to help educate the public
http://brucedp.150m.com/history/brucedp-at-sfpeaar9710.jpg
 That picture shows me Evangelizing at a SF EAA Chapter EVent, trying to
impress and keep the attention of those youngsters (which might be the EV
drivers of today).

 OK, time to put my EVangel horn away :-zzz

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/

{brucedp.150m.com}