De: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] En nombre de Jay Summet via EV
Enviado el: lunes, 04 de enero de 2016 08:18 p.m.
Para: Lee Hart; Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Asunto: Re: [EVDL] Melted fuse leg (not blown fuse!)

On 01/04/2016 09:59 PM, Lee Hart wrote:
> Jay Summet via EV wrote:
>> Has anybody ever melted the plastic and holder of an Automotive ATC
>> fuse, without blowing the fuse itself? Impressively melted photos here:
>> http://www.summet.com/blog/2016/01/04/melted-fuse-leg/
>
> Two possibilities occur to me:
>
> 1. Fuseholder not rated for the current. 30 amps is pretty high for a
> simple quick-connect type terminal. You normally don't use them above
> 15 amps unless they are specially made for more, or have good cooling.
>
> There's a good reason that high-current fuseholders are made of
> bakelite, ceramic, or some other non-meltable non-combustible material.
> Low-current ones get made out of cheaper meltable plastics.

I believe the fuse holder and fuse came as a single package from Autozone,
so they SHOULD both be rated at the 30 amp fuse rate.....but I agree it
doesn't exactly look like an especially high quality/current fuse-holder.

I've ordered a replacement that is slightly "beefer" looking but still out
of plastic. 8 GA wire and 40 amp fuse in a package with the holder.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391180385602

(But I'll also be driving to AutoZone and/or Napa tomorrow to see what is
available locally....)

> 2. Fake fuse. Some outfits sell really cheap no-name fuses that are
> basically just any old piece of scrap metal in a fuseholder. Who knows
> at what current it will blow (or *if* it will blow at all).

It was an Autozone part...

Jay