I so much want to charge my car from 100 to 300 VDC which I am sure will
work fine, since the first thing it does is rectify to DC before any other
DC/DC conversion...

EXCEPT that you just never know where in the EVSE to car chareger some
engineer may have "assumed" AC only so that he could open relay contacts
without having to worry about arc suppression.  One mistake and you
toasted it.

But I sure wish MFR's would spec if their J1772 port would accept DC as
well as AC.

Rememebr almost all modern supplies of any kind are made to cover 100 to
240 VAC and the ONLY reason most of them do not mention that the can also
work on DC is because they did not do UL TESTING for DC.  And the reason
they did not do that is because there is NO MARKET (yet) for using 100 to
330VDC at home... though EVERY universal supply with a 100-to-240 VAC
rating will almost always work* just fine on 100 to 330 VCD because that
is what it is internally when run on 240 VAC.

* JUST make sure it does not have an ON/OFF switch in the line, because
that will certainly fry the first time  you try to turn it off.

WHY my fascination with DC, because  I have 16 kW of DC solar in my yard
that works fine with the grid.  But when the grid goes down, I want to be
able to tap into any voltage I want and be able to charge the car.

Bob, WB4APR