My GE EV-100 / EVT-15 controller does something similar using
the battery contactor and the motor contactor:
Before closing the battery contactor it will check pre-charge and
battery voltage, then it will close the battery contactor and check the
motor output, which is attached to a pair of identical high value
resistors, one to battery + and one to battery - so that the open motor
output should be at 50% battery voltage unless either the IGBT is
leaking to - battery or the flyback diode is leaking to + battery.
If the motor output is not too much from a mid voltage, then the motor
contactor will close and the controller can drive the vehicle.
During operation it will also monitor for overcurrent and limit the
current, but if the IGBT shows de-saturation then it assumes a short
circuit is happening and it opens the contactors.
Note that this has prevented several run-away cases or blowing stuff up
when one component failed.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626                    Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130                    private: cvandewater.info

http://www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received
this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any
unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of
this message is prohibited.