Lithium Ion batteries can loose capacity when just sitting. Not all of it is
permanent and can be recovered by cycling the cells.
I let mine sit for over a year and some cells only had 30% capacity left. I
cycled them about 5 times before I got full capacity back.
I am not sure what sitting for longer time periods would be but I have read
papers that indicate capacity loss can be permanent

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone-------- Original message
--------From: EVDL Administrator via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> Date: 2/9/2016
2:32 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: Smart fortwo EV Batteries' second-life @Work> a
        win-win
On 9 Feb 2016 at 4:21, brucedp5 via EV wrote:

>  To be usable in the event of a replacement, a battery requires regular
> cyclising during its storage period, i.e. specific charging and
> discharging for the purpose of preservation. Otherwise it would suffer
> from deep discharging, which can lead to battery defects.

Huh?  Who said that lithium ion batteries needed to be cycled (or
'cyclised') while in storage?   Aren't they OK when stored at around 40-70%
SOC?

The way I heard this deal a few years ago, the idea was that when the
battery capacity was too low for use in an EV, the battery would be demoted
to grid leveling service.

Unless this "reporter" is as clueless about this Diamler notion as he is
about how steam cars worked, in Diamler's world, it's the other way round.

I don't think that's a world I'm interested in joining, thank you.

It sounds like if I'm driving a Smart ED (love that designation) and I need
a new battery, I can't have one.  Diamler will sell me a USED battery, one
that's been doing grid leveling for some time already.  Are they going to
give me a price reduced by the proportion of already-used cycle life?

Something smells kind of foul here.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator