On 03/24/2016 04:15 AM, brucedp5 via EV wrote:
% This is the message I sent the blogger. This post will also be linked to
that blog as a comment: %

[in reference to
http://www.agweb.com/blog/janzen-ag-law-blog/when-will-teslas-electricity-come-to-the-farm/
]

There are many farmers that use Electrics (EVs) on the farm. Those EVs come
in many forms (see the links below). Some are used like the ol' reliable
pickup truck to run local errands (short trips kill fuel vehicles - aka
ice). Some are small 3 or 4 wheel Electric ATVs/UTVs (or repurposed
golfcarts for farm use).

One such farmer just south of Austin, Tx, Willie McKemie:

Bruce makes me a legend in my own mind?

A few points:
1) I'm a relative newcomer to EVs. I had an epiphany in the viewing of WKTEC about 2006. Before that, I had essentially no interest in EVs even though I had long known Mary Ann Chapman. I did not learn of Mary Ann's EV life until fairly recently. 2) Age and decrepitude has reduced my farming activity. Essentially only asparagus, okra, and zucchini on about 15 cultivated acres the past few years. I no longer do tomatoes, peaches, or blackberries. I now sell almost exclusively directly to grocery stores. 3) Though I've striven mightily, I've failed to extract reliability and cost effectiveness from conversions or any lead battery vehicle. My Hyundai conversion especially was a money sink and left me stranded many times. Nevertheless, I've been delivering exclusively in EVs since about 2010, starting with the Hyundai. 4) A Leaf served me well for a couple of years; I was greatly disappointed to find Nissan's battery warranty was worthless and that they were abandoning their early adopters. 5) My Tesla is the best car I've ever owned. If only it were a pickup truck! I've recently mentioned here that I am in the process of increasing it's delivering capacity, with a trailer, from 17 boxes to over 30. Thanks to Rick Beebe for suggesting customaluminumboxes. 6) Right now, imievs look very good to me. I've had one for more than a year and I'm in the process of buying my second. The imiev makes a great "around the farm" vehicle, replacing golf carts. It also hauls supplies well at distances of up to 30 miles. I also use my imiev for deliveries where the range will allow; at times, I make two imiev trips rather than one Tesla trip. I have hopes that imievs will prove to be much more reliable than golf carts. Amusing, I am forced to buy imievs from distances of 150-200 miles. The tales of getting them home belongs elsewhere. 7) The original article correctly assesses roles electric tractors might play. I have long sought a 25-40 hp cultivating/utility tractor. Over 90% of my tractor work is done an hour or two at a time. I'm aware of Allis G conversions. With my poor experience with conversions, I'm waiting for someone to offer a professional conversion of an OEM unit. Suggestions solicited.

I regularly post items that interest me on Google+:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/102434734002949174273/posts/p/pub
A recent highlight is the Tesla hauling ~1500 pounds of charcoal.