On 14 Apr 2016 at 12:36, brucedp5 via EV wrote:

> We can always rely on the evdl's own testy,crotchety ol'-sourdough (David) to
> not suffer ignorance.

I've been called a lot of things over the years, but "sourdough" is a first.
I kind of like that one.  ;-)

Though maybe it should be "crusty ol' sourdough."  Yeah, that's it.

> An EV would need a 300 miles range on a single charge for 56% of
> respondents to be willing to consider purchasing one.

You have it right.  When 300 mile range is common, they'll insist that they
need 400 miles.

The surveys may be accurate, but IMO it's an excuse.  The respondents can't
seem to let themselves say "No special reason, I just don't want one."
Similarly, for years I've had friends who thought that EVs were a great idea
- for someone else.

There are people who by custom don't make rational buying decisions,
especially for vehicles, and thus can't be convinced through reason that a
EV might be a good (better) solution for them.  The paid-for negative media
blitz just reinforces these attitudes.

It reminds me of the exchange I witnessed in one of the big box home stores
several years ago.  An older couple were shopping for a weed whacker type
trimmer.  The male half, a slim, well-dressed, soft-spoken gentleman,
quietly suggested, "Here's an electric one."  The female half, loud, large,
and loutish, practically shouted, "No!  We ain't gettin' no 'lectric s**t."

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator