http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/04/11/i-took-a-ride-in-tesla-motors-incs-model-3-3-takea.aspx
I Took a Ride in Tesla Motors, Inc.'s Model 3 -- 3 Takeaways
2016/04/11  Daniel Sparks

[image
https://g.foolcdn.com/editorial/images/201737/tesla-model-3-test-ride_large.png
MODEL 3 TEST RIDE. IMAGE SOURCE: AUTHOR

share
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/716748255242100736?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Rytter ‏@AndersRytter  Apr 3
@elonmusk Reveal cars were awd?

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk
@AndersRytter yes, but production AWD will be a lot faster
3:04 PM - 3 Apr 2016
]

It's definitely worth $35,000. Here's what made the Model 3 stand out.

It was clear there was some significant pent-up demand for Tesla Motors'
(NASDAQ:TSLA) Model 3 before it was even unveiled. On the morning of the
event, when the electric-car maker began accepting deposit-backed
reservations for the vehicle, lines of hundreds of customers had formed at
Tesla stores as they tried to get their order early in the queue. And before
Tesla had showed the 3's design that night, the company had already garnered
around 100,000 orders.

Amid all the hype, you can bet I was ready to get in the vehicle and take it
for a spin when the company offered event attendees test rides. While Model
3 was still clearly a prototype, with a number of tweaks undoubtedly to
come, the electric car didn't disappoint.

Here are three takeaways from my test ride.

1. Performance is stellar. Despite being half the price of its Model S, the
Model 3 didn't seem to compromise on performance.

"At Tesla, we don't make slow cars," Musk said during the event unveiling.
"And, of course, there will be versions of the Model 3 that go much faster."

Model 3's acceleration was incredible -- true to the sporty instant torque
of its Model S and X. Off the line, I was sucked back into the seat.

Seeming to be a bit faster than the base version of Model S, I suspected the
Model 3 prototype could have been a dual-motor version of the Model 3. I
later learned from one of Musk's tweets after the event that it was.
Fortunately, however, Tesla says it won't cost the same additional $5,000 it
costs to add dual-motor all-wheel drive to a Model S to upgrade Model 3.
Even more, apparently the production dual-motor version of Model 3 will be
"a lot faster" than this prototype, Musk explained on Twitter

The base Model 3 will have a zero-to-sixty mph time of "less than six
seconds," Musk said during the unveil. "... I want to emphasize these are
minimum numbers. We hope to exceed them."

2. It's spacious. Perhaps the most surprising thing about Tesla's Model 3
was how spacious it seemed. Sitting in the back, the backseat easily
exceeded Model S' headroom and seemed to rival its leg room.

"The Model 3 also fits five adults comfortably," Musk said at the Model 3
event. "That 'comfortably' is the important part here."

There were two key ways Tesla achieved spaciousness in the back seat despite
its smaller overall size than the Model S. First, the company moved the
front seat forward by compacting the instrument panel, giving the backseat
more leg room than a car this size would have otherwise. Second, Tesla made
the rear roof area a single continuous pan of glass, adding significant head
room, as well as a feeling of openness that comes with a glass roof.

Model 3 has the "best roominess of any car this size," Musk asserted during
the unveiling.

3. It's compelling. At half the price of the company's Model S, and
considering it is Tesla's first more affordable vehicle, it was surprising
how much value was packed into the vehicle. Overall, there was a feeling
that Tesla didn't make any compromises.

The styling and design is fresh, unique, sporty, and functional. Performance
is outstanding. And its minimum range of 215 miles on a single charge is
more than enough for daily driving -- and plenty to enable long-distance
travel on Tesla's robust Supercharger network.

After driving the Model 3 prototype myself, I got to see first hand why --
within a week of the unveil -- 325,000 people handed Tesla a deposit to
reserve their own. Of course, almost all of these reservation holders didn't
even get to ride in the vehicle. But my experience with the prototype
suggests they won't be disappointed when they get their own ride ...
[© 2016 The Motley Fool]

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/

{brucedp.150m.com}