I have the suspicion (never even charged at a Tesla station and
certainly never been exposed to the protocol) that if the engineers at
Tesla are worth their salt, that even though the chargers are not
networked, they probably will ask the car to identify itself before
starting a charging session,
because without such a handshake, what keeps the world from charging for
free at the Tesla chargers?
It is relatively easy to create an asymmetric encrypted authentication,
whereby you can easily check with the public key that it is a valid
authentication, without being able to *generate* a valid authentication,
since that requires the private key. We do this to avoid hackers from
buying the lowest cost version of our product and upgrading it to a
higher featured model, since the license key is encrypted in such a way.
Tesla can generate keys for their vehicles that are used for the
communication with the chargers (and other identification purposes).

So, while it may be a great learning experience to try and
reverse-engineer the Tesla charging protocol in similar way that the
Leaf was used to record Chademo charging sessions, don't be surprised if
there are encrypted messages that will prevent you from even playing
back a recorded charging session to a charging station, to lure it into
giving you a charge.

Hope this gives some insight,

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626                    Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130                    private: cvandewater.info

http://www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received
this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any
unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of
this message is prohibited.