On 27 Apr 2016 at 10:15, Mark Abramowitz via EV wrote:

> Lots of folks thought they were junk  ...

To some extent I defer to Bill Dube' on this, as he has obviously bought a
LOT of HF tools, and I have not.   However, in general I follow my father's
advice and example, and buy the best tools I can afford.

Many times that means buying a used tool.  A used tool may cost more,
sometimes a lot more, than a similar one at HF or wherever.  But I figure I
am getting a tool that will last me the rest of my life.

I buy used not just for price, but because today a lot of midrange brand
name tools are barely, if at all, better than the HF versions.  I wouldn't
be surprised if some of them come from the same Chinese factories.

I think the problem is that the tool companies' stockholders demand big
profits, the big box stores demand low-ish cost and high margin, and
customers just what what's cheap.

So it goes.

When I'm absolutely sure I'll use the tool for only one or two jobs, I might
buy a cheap one, either brand name or HF.  However, I did that with a spring
compressor when I changed the struts in a VW Golf in the mid-1990s, and boy
did I ever regret that purchase.  Bloody thing cross-threaded.  I had to
rent a decent spring compressor to get the crap one off and finish the job.
That made me a lot more cautious.

I've read posts here from folks who recommend the HF hydraulic crimpers.  I
recall someone saying years ago that the dies are mismarked and you have to
choose by approximate fit.  I don't know whether that's still true.

For a while I did consider buying one anyway, but honestly I don't need one
since so far my hammer crimper (E-Z-Red, I think is the brand) does just
fine for what I need.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator