'ACN project is helping minimize energy usage'

http://www.pasadenanow.com/main/smart-charging-network-for-evs-installed-at-caltech/
Smart Charging Network for EVs Installed at Caltech
April 25, 2016

[image
http://www.pasadenanow.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/crop36.jpg
Each of Caltech’s 54 EV charging stations in the California parking
structure has a touch-screen LCD to facilitate user interaction. The
chargers are all connected in an adaptive charging network, which uses a
smart algorithm to coordinate the charging schedule to minimize energy
usage. Credit: Caltech
]

In an effort to reduce carbon dioxide emissions in our environment and begin
a campuswide shift to the use of renewable resources, a research group led
by Steven Low, professor of computer science and electrical engineering in
the engineering and applied science division, has installed 54 electric
vehicle (EV) charging stations for use by all Caltech and JPL personnel and
visitors. The stations, four of which are handicapped-accessible, were first
installed in the California Parking Structure in February and are currently
free to use.

Depending on a car’s charger, the stations will fully charge an EV in about
five hours. Users can monitor the stations—whether they are occupied or
available, as well as whether the occupied stations are currently charging
or done charging—via the Caltech Adaptive Charging Network (ACN) site at
http://ev.caltech.edu/ .

“Electrification of our transportation system will be important because
today vehicles consume more than a quarter of our energy and emit more than
a quarter of our energy-related carbon dioxide (CO2),” says Low, who was
awarded a Caltech Innovation Initiative (CI2) grant last year to fund the
design, building, and installation of the EV charging system, as well as its
power-distribution infrastructure.” Electrification will not only greatly
reduce CO2 emission, but EVs can also be critical resources to help
integrate renewable sources, such as wind and solar power, into our electric
grid. One of the key enablers to mass EV adoption is the availability of
smart charging networks.”

Because there are now so many stations on campus and charging EVs can
require a substantial amount of electricity (most EVs charge at 7 kilowatts,
the equivalent of simultaneously running 70 desktop computers), Low
developed Caltech’s adaptive charging network, which uses a smart algorithm
to coordinate the charging schedule with the Institute’s existing electrical
infrastructure. This program helps minimize energy usage; as of now, the
stations are consuming about 200 kilowatt-hours per day, only a fraction
(0.00006 percent) of Caltech’s total electrical usage. And, according to
John Onderdonk, director of sustainability programs at Caltech, about 30
percent of the electricity at each charging station is from carbon-free
renewable sources.

The ACN project is helping the Institute prepare for the vehicle of the
future, Onderdonk notes. “Caltech’s Facilities Management department is also
benefiting from the project by learning about EV use patterns so that we can
identify the opportunities and challenges that may come with integrating
large numbers of EVs into the campus electrical infrastructure,” he says.

Implementation of publicly available EV charging programs like Caltech’s
pilot ACN also can be beneficial for limiting energy usage in the long term.
“Compared with charging these EVs at homes individually, ACN requires a
smaller total power distribution capacity and can better use renewable
electricity,” says Low.

“We believe having ample charging stations available is the key to
widespread EV adoption,” says George Lee (MS ’10), who is volunteering in
Low’s lab to continue contributing to this project. “Most installations
outside Caltech only have a few EV charging stations, due to the high cost
of upgrading electrical infrastructure and construction. Our technique
allows a large number of stations to be installed at a reasonable cost.”

Low’s CI2 funding will allow the charging stations to be free to use until
the end of the academic year. After that—and depending on renewal of the CI2
grant for phase 2 of the project, which would be focused on further
developing the software based on data collected from the newly installed
chargers—there will be a potential cost of less than $0.20 per
kilowatt-hour. (Private residences purchasing energy from Pasadena Water and
Power spend between $0.13 and $0.38 per kilowatt-hour delivered, depending
on the specific plan and time of day.) While charging at home at night is
the cheapest option, says Lee, charging during the day is cheaper at
Caltech, where the rate is the same at all times, than at a private
residence. “This financial structure helps maximize EV adoption because it
allows for people who cannot install chargers at home to own an EV at
reasonable electricity costs,” Lee says.

When the research project concludes in April 2017, the chargers will become
the property of Caltech’s facilities department, at which point their fee
structure will need to be reassessed. In addition to the current
installation, Low foresees the need for additional charging stations in the
future as EV use increases.
[© pasadenanow.com  PASADENA NOW]
http://eas.caltech.edu/people/3109/profile
Steven Low Caltech