On 06/17/2016 02:42 PM, paul dove via EV wrote:
I agree Bob,
I have an i-MiEV and it has three modes.

Drive - good acceleration minimal regenerative braking.ECO - reduced
acceleration stronger regenerative brakingB - not sure what that stands for but
it has the same acceleration as drive but the maximum regenerative braking.
I drove for a long time in ECO ( 14 months) and would drop to B when coming to
a stop.
I drive in "B" all the time, believing it gives me maximum regen. To avoid regen when "coasting", I feather the throttle so zero power is indicated. This works well also on the Tesla. When I had a Leaf, I was disappointed in the anemic regen. With imievs, I am disappointed in time lag before regen activates; I tend to compensate by letting off the throttle earlier than I would in the Tesla.
I recently switched to driving in D and the popping up to Neutral to coast and
braking normally.
My range went up by between 4 to 6 miles using D as opposed to using ECO. In
fact I got 68 miles of range on Tuesday and that's the furthest I have ever
gone.
As mentioned, I have no experience with anything other than "D". I have noticed and tested that the range can be extended to about 90 miles if I am able to hold the speed to about 30mph. I'm generally satisfied with with about 65 miles at about 55 mph.

I would prefer that regen only kick in when I hit the brake, I think this would
help extend the range.
I can't agree. That was one of my complaints about a Leaf. One can not easily tell when friction braking kicks in. With the Tesla, it is possible to almost entirely avoid using the brake pedal. "One pedal driving". On your imiev, I suggest you try to avoid regen by watching your power meter. The strategy, of course, is to never friction brake and avoid regen unless you wish to brake.