Lee Hart wrote:

As others have said, 12v marine batteries are only a quick-n-dirty solution. They barely work as EV batteries. They are cheap initially, but performance is poor, and life is short.

So I've learned.

With any type of battery, the range is simply a function of how many you carry -- the size of your "fuel tank".

Is your Jetta limited by physical space, or by weight-carrying capacity? Note that lithiums are lighter per cubic foot, but do not necessarily provide any more KWH per cubic foot.

The ten series-29 marine batteries are split, with 4 under-the-hood and 6 in the trunk. The rear springs/shocks were upgraded. The front suspension is probably stock. It feels heavy when driven.

There's no more space under the hood. I might be able to fit another two, three, or four series-29s in the trunk.

Based on how it drives now. I don't think that I'd want to add more weight

If I use the golf cart batteries, I'll end up with the same barely useable range. It'll also cost roughly 50% or 60% more than the marine batteries. But they'll last 6 to 8 years.

I'd hoped to double the range, keep the weight roughly the same, and not having to pay more than around $2,000 to get there. That means doubling the power density (W/ft3), doubling the W/#, and keeping the $/W roughly the same.

Sounds like my Jetta is going to stay in the driveway battery-less for a while longer.

Thanks much for the informed advice!

Len M.