Trump has said many things.  He said Saudi Arabia should give the U.S. free
oil for 10 years.  He also plans to open more public lands for fossil fuel
extraction.  Which refiners are going to pay for more-expensive-to-produce
oil from fracking when Saudia Arabia is giving them oil?  He said he will
place tariffs on imports to protect American jobs.  What about companies and
their employees who use some of those imports in producing their products?
It is well-known that tariffs benefit some while hurting others.  Life is
obviously not as simple as he portrays it.  I think we may be about to
receive a large scale lesson in that.

As for crushing cars, that's nonsense.  And all the rhetoric in the world
doesn't change the facts that (1) "tight oil" from shale is just a flash in
the pan, due to very high production decline rates, (2) kerogen, or "oil
shale" (not "shale oil" which is tight oil) has been worked on for at least
20 years and never proved to be economic to produce, (3) despite record
increases by oil companies in investment in exploration, discoveries of new
oil fields have declined over the last decade and most conventional oil
fields are in decline, meaning production from them is decreasing.  That's
why they have been moving into natural gas fracking.  But the oil companies
are not going to tell the public that any more than Trump is going to admit
that he lies and grossly oversimplifies.  They will bluff as long as they
can.  Eventually it will become obvious to everyone that oil supply is
shrinking as demand increases due to the resulting increasing prices.  No
one knows when the latter will exceed the former, but even the most
optimistic fossil fuel cheerleader, Daniel Yergin of CERA who has along
history of erroneously optimistic prognostications, says it will likely be
within 20-30 years.  That's a lot longer than 2 presidential terms though...

If we wait until demand is starting to exceed supply it will of course be
far too late. It takes generations to make such huge transitions in energy
supply and transportation, and you need the unrivaled energy density of
fossil fuels to help make that transition.  There is no doubt we will be
making some large transitions in the future.  The question is only when and
how effectively. But the only question in the minds of fossil fuel company
CEOs and their ilk is who is going to control the money and the power, and
that is what politics is all about.

And then there is climate change.  It's going to be interesting times, as
the curse goes.