Robert,
Similar in that an inductor in a buck converter is used to create a
(possibly variable) lower voltage than the input by modulating the
switch to open only a part (variable) of the time, so the output voltage
becomes the percentage of opening multiplied with the input voltage,
so also a boost converter can up-convert an input voltage by the factor
between the time it is open (shorting the inductor across the input
voltage) and the time it closes, so the inductor discharges its built-up
energy at a higher output voltage (and consequently lower current:
preservation of energy)

In the same way a motor can be drive by the motor control (DC or AC) at
lower voltage in a sort of "buck" mode, but for regeneration the
controller can (after building up a field to excite) cause the motor
current to increase by shorting the motor (inductor) and opening to let
the motor current charge the battery, releasing its energy - comparable
to the boost converter.
So, the normal motor operating voltage may be much below the battery
voltage, but the inverter can still make the motor create voltage spikes
that will feed the battery during regen.

Hope this clarifies,

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626                    Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130                    private: cvandewater.info

http://www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received
this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any
unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of
this message is prohibited.