You could always use one of the wheel rotation speed sensors that most cars are
fitted with these days as a speed reference.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: ROBERT via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> Date:
22/02/2017  23:49  (GMT-05:00) To: Cor van de Water <cwa...@proxim.com>,
Electric Vehicle Discussion List <ev@lists.evdl.org> Subject: Re: [EVDL] Wheel
Speed Sensor
See my previous reply.

From: EV <ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org> on behalf of Cor van de Water via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 4:32 PM
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Wheel Speed Sensor

I think some vehicles have the speed sensor on the transmission output
shaft, since that has a fixed relation to vehicle speed with the diff
ratio and wheel circumference. If the transmission is removed, no speed
sensing is available until you mount a wheel speed sensor or a pickup on
the motor if it has fixed reduction - you can use the latter for the
dual purpose of protecting the motor from overspeed if you have a DC
series motor and speed sensing. If you have an AC motor, the inverter
knows motor RPM and if you have fixed reduction then you can calculate
speed.
My truck has a very simple relation of motor RPM to speed since it has a
transmission that is locked in second gear (fixed reduction) so the
motor reaches its 9000 RPM redline at 72 MPH, so every 125 RPM is 1 MPH.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626                    Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130                    private: cvandewater.info

http://www.proxim.com
Proxim - Wireless Broadband, Backhaul Solutions and Access
...<http://www.proxim.com/>
www.proxim.com
Proxim Wireless offers licensed and unlicensed point to point, backhaul,
bridge, point to multipoint, wireless broadband and wireless access points.

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received
this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any
unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of
this message is prohibited.