First some criticisms:  (1) About three weeks ago I posted a question "How does
regenerative braking work"  No one had an answer.  Now numerous people appear
to know something about regenerative braking. (2) My original question was "has
anyone installed a wheel speed sensor on an EV conversion that was not
originally equipped with a wheel speed sensor"  I did not state my reason for
the question because of what would follow.  I answered one of the e-mails and
stated my reason and got a lot of replies but no answer to my question.

I posted this same question to the 914 Club website.  Dr914 stated that Porsche
installed wheel speed sensors in the CV joints in early models for cruise
control.

Response to the replies:

Congratulations to Lee Hart.  He understands why all car manufacturers use
wheel speed sensors data for regenerative braking.

"If you're going to use regenerative braking to provide this same feature, your
controller needs to know the speed of each wheel. Otherwise, one wheel can be
slipping, and you'd lose braking in *both* wheels (probably rather suddenly)."

Peri Hartman

"First, I wonder what Tesla does. If they do it, it's probably well
thought out."

Quote from a Tesla test engineering report:

"Safety: Negative torque applied to the rear wheels can cause a car to become
unstable. Since regen braking is a source of negative torque, the Tesla
Roadster uses the traction control system to limit regen if the rear wheels
start to slip. I was part of the team that developed and verified this safety
feature on a frozen lake in Arvidsjaur, Sweden."

Corbin Dunn

"For some reason, this doesn't make sense to me. You are saying that you need a
speed sensor on each wheel, or else regen would create instability. You could
say the same thing for forward power applied by the motor.  I think this would
only matter if you had a controller on each wheel -- which, maybe you do...I'm
not exactly sure what you are trying to do without way more information."

You are incorrect.

Cor van de Water

"He is trying to create a traction control device AKA ABS controller by
verifying that each wheel is spinning for application of regen (and, I
presume also acceleration as that typically puts more torque on each
wheel from the controller than the regen braking part)"

I will not install an ABS system because of the liability. I will use the
original mechanical brakes with upgrades.  In addition, I will install a brake
pedal positioner sensor (analog) and digital signal for brake activation.  The
regen will occur between 0 - 6 degrees of pedal movement.  After 6 degrees the
mechanical brake will take over.  I will be able to select between accelerator
pedal regen (like the Tesla and Leaf) or brake pedal regen (I think this system
is used by BMW)

"More than likely the OEM ABS (tone ring) wheel sensors and/or suspension
compression measurement will do the job."

Great, now tell me the tone wheel, hub assembly, or bearing assembly with built
in tone wheel that I can use on a Porsche 914.

> For some reason, this doesn't make sense to me. You are saying that you
> need a speed sensor on each wheel, or else regen would create instability.
> You could say the same thing for forward power applied by the motor.  I
> think this would only matter if you had a controller on each wheel --
> which, maybe you do...I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do
> without way more information.

I think he's basically correct. Think about anti-lock brakes. Each wheel has its
own speed sensor, and controls the braking to that particular wheel to keep it
from skidding. If you're on ice or other poor-traction conditions, there can be
a considerable difference in how much braking force each wheel can handle.

--
Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the
complicated simple. -- Charles Mingus

About the EVDL: The Electric Vehicle Discussion List, founded in 1991 by EV
enthusiast Clyde Visser, is an active and vital source of information and help
for people ...

EV -- Electric Vehicle Discussion List - lists.evdl.org
...<http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org>
lists.evdl.org
The Electric Vehicle Discussion List is a forum for discussing the current
state of the art and future direction of electric vehicles (EVs). We define an
EV as a ...

EVDL EV News Archive - Electric Vehicle Discussion List<http://evdl.org/evln/>
evdl.org
EVLN - EV News Archive Edited by Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter: EVLN: home | help |
archive | news | privacy policy | terms of service