Interesting.  Obviously the plastic body of the smart was quite flammable and
maybe Mercedes should address that problem.  My normal comeback on these
incidents is - have you noticed those rectangular black spots along the sides
of the highways in summer?

The stated reason in the article was an electrical fault but it could have been
arson as well.  This occurred yesterday and the article was published about 8
hours after the fire was reported put out.  It seems unlikely that it’s
actually been investigated yet and that was just the initial opinion of either
the fire department on sight or maybe even the reporter.

These incidents should be investigated the failure mode determined and
remediation recommended for future installations.  Maybe the EVSE’s should have
a thermal sensor so that connection blocks that are getting too hot cause a
shutdown and the charging circuits in the car should have the same.  I know the
battery modules do (or should) but the main charger circuits could have the
same.  We are now required to install spark gap circuit breakers in houses on
the circuits that are in bedrooms, smoke detectors, etc.  it would be small
leap to require similar in the vehicle and/or the EVSE circuit.

It would be really nice to know as well if the fault was in the car or the
EVSE.

If cars were airplanes all this would be second nature.  We demand to know why
each and every plane crashes but just assume that unless a particular model car
starts to show in the statistics we just ignore problems and assume human error
or a one off manufacturing defect and go ‘oh well…"

Regards,
Lawrence Harris
lhar...@haritech.com