A lot of people have shown an interest in discussing the origins of the fire
here, but I haven't seen any posts yet addressing Bruce's question -- was
this really a Smart?

Bruce provided links that show a Smart chassis.  The burnt-out skeleton in
the photos resembles it.  However, there are also some differences.  Look at
the shape of the front crossmember (what in an ICEV might be the radiator
support) and the bumper support (?) below it, compared to the pictures of
the actual Smart frame.  I think I also see differences at the rear
quarters.  The rocker panels seem to be shaped differently, too.

Anybody else remember the Flybo and the other Chinese EVs that resembled
Smarts?  They showed up about 10 years ago.  Diamler tried to sue the
makers, but I don't know how successful they were at stopping them.  If they
were shut down, it might have been mainly because they were fairly junky
knockoffs.

http://evalbum.com/type/FLYB

I can't find any online pictures of the Flybo frame like the ones Bruce
found of the Smart (thanks, Bruce).  It does make you wonder, though.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator