Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback, really interesting.

I have a 10 year old battery pack, I got it second hand out of an old
conversion.

The balancers do a great job of keeping the pack balanced, I think they can
move around 10A. Most of the time they can keep the charge in control, it's
only in the last 20% where I guess the charger is doing constant voltage
and I guess is pushing more current than the balancers can move. Or the
batteries are reaching their limit and no amount of balancing is going to
add more charge to certain cells.

Basically my pack has a couple of outlier cells that charge really slowly
(as in their voltage doesn't change) and a couple of cells that charge
really quickly (the voltage rises up and over 4V quite quickly). I've found
that looking at the cell voltages gives a fairly accurate representation of
the SOC. I've logged each cell every few hours, particularly after a charge
or a drive, over a week or two and everything was fine until recently. I
measure down to the millivolt. Is that accurate enough? And our temperature
here is so stable, particularly in the underground garage where I keep the
car that I can't imagine the internal temp of the battery is really that
different to ambient but I don't know much about all this. Will go and do
some research.

It's like the Curtis SOC has missed a chunk of Ah going into the pack. I
guess I'll have to draw the pack down using a load to get the charger and
the Curtis on the same wavelength again. I looked at single cell
charger/discharger but the ones I saw do max 2A and the maths of 25 160Ah
cells meant I was facing two months of slowly discharging cells!

I've gotten a lot conflicting advice about the max charge voltage of a
Thundersky cell. Bill said to not let them go above 3.8V while the
Thundersky page -
http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/Manuals/Thundersky%20Product%20Manual.pdf -
says 4.25V. I tend to stop the charging when cells get over 4V. Is that
causing damage to the battery?

I was planning on building my own charge monitoring system using an arduino
to monitor individual cell voltages and if any one cell goes above say 3.8V
then shut off charging for a period of time to let the balancers work. And
then shut off the entire charge once the pack reached a fixed voltage - say
88V. But you guys are saying that shutting of charge at 88V would not give
me an accurate reflection of a fully charged pack. I'll look at the Ah
meters you linked to.

Many thanks,
Matthew

07966 806 727