The BMS does not need to know the SOC.
The User Interface (dash) often presents an estimation of the SoC and
this means that
either the car (Motor Controller) or the BMS needs to measure the
current
and integrate over time to estimate the Ah in/out of the pack so that an
estimation
of SoC is available, occasionally re-calibrated automatically when the
pack approaches
full or empty and the BMS starts to become active to protect the allowed
voltage
range of every cell in the pack, which gives a calibration point near
full/empty that
the SoC estimator can use to reset itself from accumulating errors in
the measurement
of current and integrating over time these small errors can start to
grow into big errors...

As said, the BMS is simply there to protect cells, so it is fine to only
measure voltage
and possibly temperature if the voltage measurement needs to be temp
compensated
or if the protection of the cells include a protection of working temp
range.
The BMS simply maintains the cells with operational parameters and
stopping overcharging
means monitoring cell voltage to detect a cell approaching max voltage
and throttling the
charger (or brake regen) back.
Avoiding under-dischargesimply means detecting cell voltage dropping to
the lower
limit and cutting back on the allowed current draw for the motor
controller.
At some point that current may approach zero and the car should shut
down completely.
You can also think about temperature protection, both too high and too
low,
there may be heaters or a coolant loop that can be controlled by the
BMS,
you can think about isolation (detection of leakage to the car frame)
but the essence is that a BMS only needs to protect the cells and it is
useful
if a BMS not only monitors but also actively balances cells, which
typically happens
at the top (end) of the charge cycle, unless the chemistry in use allows
estimating
SoC directly from cell voltages, such as Li-Ion Polymer or Manganese
chemistries.
Keeping the driver informed of available charge (SoC) is a function of
the car and this
function may be allocated to the BMS for convenience of design, but for
the
operation of the BMS it is not necessary.
Hope this clarifies,
Cor.