I think you can get 15W/sqft and my Volt is not very efficient I often
need 16KW if I take it easy but even at 8kw you would need  533sq feet
of solar panels 23ft by 23ft.  So... not a great deal but with a 32KWh
battery pack you could charge it with a 23x23 panel on your roof in 4
hours.  That sounds like a better deal and very manageable.

sean

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Lawrence Rhodes via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
> It seems people are underestimating the capacity of solar panels on vehicles.
>  It is a simple math problem. Encapsulation is also a challenge. However I
> don't have the math to calculate how fast a 3.3kw solar system would push a
> 3000 pound vehicle.  It seems you would need 8kw to push a Leaf up to 45mph.
> This is just a guess but it seems to me that a simple calculation of weight,
> CD, array size would be all you would need to calculate the usefulness of any
> solar vehicle.  Stella Lux is capable of 45mph with a 1.5kw solar panel, a
> weight of 850 pounds(it can carry 4 people) and a CD of .16.  If you have a
> 22 ft x 8' vehicle like an aluminum Ultravan at 3,000 pounds (which is less
> than a Leaf)  you would have good range but calculating how much solar would
> fit, the CD which I think is under .3 and the speed possible with the max
> panels is beyond me.  I do know that if you had a 3.3kw array you would be
> able to charge a 24kw pack in 10 hours making a useful vehicle. It might be
> able
 to do 20mph on solar.  I bet Dave Cloud could figure it out.  The Dolphin is a
very cleaver vehicle.  I wish I had some land to work on an Ultravan.  Lawrence
Rhodes

Sean Korb spk...@spkorb.org http://www.spkorb.org
'65 Suprang,'68 Cougar,'78 R100/7,'60 Metro,'59 A35,'71 Pantera #1382