But anyone who does not have a good place to park and charge at home
overnight is simply not a good candidate for an EV.  Trying to fix that with
solar panels on the roof of the EV is a very expensive way to go.  Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of Lawrence Rhodes via
EV
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 5:53 PM
To: spk...@gmail.com; Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Cc: Lawrence Rhodes
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Solar vehicles..just do the math.

The whole point with a solar vehicle is to be completely free of the grid
most of the time.  Charging from your roof solar is not bad but not optimal.
You can't charge with your roof top solar unless you are home.  So when your
car is parked usually away from home that is when you need it. A vehicle the
size of a Tesla S can hold at least 1.5kw....maybe a little more...BTW you
can't just use solar panels on the roof of a vehicle.  You need special
encapsulation for weight and aerodynamics.  Lawrence Rhodes