I kind of like where the math takes you.  I was imagining a world
where every individual  had a 450lb vehicle 50 feet long and 5 feet
wide that went 50MPH, self driving of course, with only 1 car per
person it could all be scheduled out to arrive to pick you up and
deliver to your destination in perfect traffic in perfect timing with
perfect predictability.

I really liked it.  It was a very relaxing concept.  Unfortunately
I've never been good at engineering humans and their behavior and am
yet to meet someone who does :)

I think our current market where "safer" means an escalation in heavy
armor to protect occupants from ever more heavily armored vehicles may
end badly and is antithetical to solar powered vehicles.  An armored
suit and a helmet is lightweight probably adequate for most but it's
hard to get people to wear them under the best of conditions.

sean

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 9:21 PM, Alan Arrison via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
> If you do the math, you will find solar vehicles make no sense, period.
>
> Al
>

> On 9/27/2017 10:01 PM, EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:
>>
>> Maybe you can do it as a hobbyist project.  I don't see it as a viable
>> mass
>> produced commercial product for a long time yet, if ever.
>>
>> It would have to be competitive with current vehicles at initial
>> dealer-lot
>> price, because that's all most buyers see.
>>
>> Also, it can't be too odd-looking.  Anything based on the Stella Lux
>> flunks
>> that one right off.
>>
>> A scant few buyers will/can pay more up front for low running costs, and a
>> few of THEM might accept a weird looking vehicle.  By then you're getting
>> down to a microscopic potential customer base.
>>
>> You're not going to find venture capitalists interested in that kind of
>> risk, and unfortunately we're currently experiencing a severe shortage of
>> Elon Musks.
>>
>> So if you want one, better get to work.
>>
>> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
>> EVDL Administrator

Sean Korb spk...@spkorb.org http://www.spkorb.org
'65 Suprang,'68 Cougar,'78 R100/7,'60 Metro,'59 A35,'71 Pantera #1382