David,
In my book charging a 40kWh battery in 1/60th hour (one minute) to 80%
means
40 x 0.8 x 60 = 1920 kW, almost 2 Megawatt.
Still a pretty large number but not the power consumption of one of the
smaller states.
Since fueling a gas car can easily take 5 mins, I presume that 400kW of
power would be
more realistic and this is the capcity that a smallish business building
is connected at,
typical 480V 3-Phase so now you are down to less than 300 Amp per phase.
Of course, charging multiple cars will bring this up again but then you
can buffer with
a battery bank and just have a constant draw that is the average of the
amount of
oiwer that is delivered, so the time to pull up, get out of the car,
authenticate yourself
(with chip card) and pay (if not included in the authentication) and
after filling up, pulling
away from the station for the next person to be able to charge - during
all that time no
charge flows, so the average is always quite a bit lower than the peak.
With a battery bank to smooth out the peaks over slightly longer time it
can be assured
that no "pump" will cause more than half the peak value,
so with 5 "pumps" you will need no more than 1 MW connection.
Hope this clarifies,
Cor.