On Sat Mar 03 23:08:39 PST 2018 Lee Hart said:
>John Lussmyer via EV wrote:
>> So, I happen to have an older 3 phase, 60KW generator head.
>> I also have a small car engine with all the pollution controls.
>> My battery pack is fully charged at 332VDC.
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out if there is some way to use this generator as a
>> range extender.
>> While driving my PFC-50 would help some, that's only 12KW.
>>
>> Would a "bad boy" full wave 3 phase rectifier work?  (I'd probably need to
>> adjust the voltage output of the generator.)
>>
>> Is it possible to build a voltage regulator that adjusts the voltage QUICKLY
>> in order to get something closer to a square wave output rather than the
>> normal sine wave?
>
>If the genset is old, it probably doesn't have any elaborate electronic
>controls to regulate voltage and frequency. Does it just have some kind
>of simple mechanical or electrical governer to set the ICE speed, and
>thus the output frequency?

This is an older generator head from a military diesel genset.
It did have controls to adjust the voltage and the frequency, but I haven't dug
into the actual generator head in detail yet.

>If the above is the case, then it would be pretty simple to make a
>high-power charger. You basically need a big 3-phase bridge to turn the
>AC output into DC.
>
>Then, I would include a large series inductor to smooth the output
>current and knock down the peaks. The inductor's resistance will also
>limit the current into a discharged battery. This will also make the
>generator run cooler by improving the power factor it sees.

Figuring out the inductor size might be a bit difficult, but hopefully not TOO
critical.
I'm unlikely to need more than about 30KW out of this continuously.

>If you want to fully regulate the output voltage and current, three of
>the diodes in the bridge could be replaced with SCRs, and phase
>controlled. Copy a classic circuit from an SCR manual, or use your
>favorite microcontroller and program it yourself.

Thanks, I was hoping there would be some kind of possibility to do that.

>Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, www.sunrise-ev.com

And also thanks for giving the ONLY useful answer that didn't boil down to "go
buy a 30KW 3 phase hi-voltage charger".

--

Try my Sensible Email package!  https://sourceforge.net/projects/sensibleemail/