I also did tests on LiFePO4 cells and while self-discharge was low, I was able
to prove from my measurements over many weeks, that there is was about a factor
2 difference in self-discharge current between the best and worst cell. Sample
size was over 40 cells.
This is exactly what the author of the quoted article found, that the capacity
of the cells had not degraded, but the cells had gotten out of balance, so the
protection circuitry allowed an ever shrinking overlap between best and worst
cell. Simply balancing the cells brought back the original available pack
capacity, which is logical.
Hope this clarifies,
Cor.

BTW, this email address will soon cease to work, please find me at
cor.vandewa...@gmail.com