Clear as mud... I think your story is just what you say it is - a story...

Can you mention any company names? Or is that not possible...

I only know of two companies that are selling the TeslaTap, QCP and UMC-J1772,
and
they are both exactly the same...  and manufactured by UMC-J1772. The TeslaTap
is
machined from a solid block of hard black plastic (don't know the name), and if
you ran over it with your car, you'd feel a bump and it wouldn't hurt the Tesla
Inlet at all... It is the J1772 Plug that would break first.

Rush Dougherty
www.TucsonEV.com
Tucson AZ 85719