> If you're running the LEDs on 120vac, the voltage drop needed is much
larger.

The 60W equivalent I just took apart had a full 14 LEDs in series but
still used a PWM controller.

It took 80 volts DC to get the LED's to their proper brilliance.  So just
a small resistor will do.

This is just the metal disk with the 14 LEDs all in series, no other
electronics.

What was interesting was that 3 came on at around 15 volts, then more and
more came on as the voltage was raised.  And they shifted back and forth
at various levels until they were all on.  Since the bulb was rated at 9
Watts, and assuming 80% PWM efficiency, then I assumed the LED's were
rated at 60 mA. And that took 80 volts.

All the flashing back and forth as each began to illuminate surprised me.
It was almost as if there was a threshold effect.  As a new LED decided to
illuminate, then the series string suffered due to the greater current and
so all the other LED's adjusted.  Some ablve and some below threshold.
All being in series, it looks like there is a significant variability in
their characteristics.  But once I hit 80 volts the current above that was
linear.  But at 80 is also where it got to 60 mA and I did not go much
higher.

I was using a regulated variable DC supply with no series resistor (Supply
was current limited at 120 mA).

PS, this divides out to be about 5.7 volts per LED.  Much higher than the
2.8 mentioned?

Bob