Teslas use approx. 300-500 Watts of power to run house loads (computers,
coolant pumps, fans, DC/DC converters and so on) while charging.
The roof of a modern car is only in the order of 10 square feet of flat
surface, maybe a little more, but soon you are hitting the windshield, back
window or the side rails.
That 10 sq ft (1 sq meter) gives you about 1000W of irradiation (energy from
the sun) when straight above. Good solar panels can convert this into approx.
150 Watts of power if there is no shadowing, no dirt, no heat and when the sun
is directly overhead.
So, even under ideal circumstances a roof mount solar panel would not be able
to run the parasitic loads of a typical EV, so it would *discharge* the main
pack when enabling solar charging.
I have a similar thing with a USB power bank that some Chinese designer slapped
a solar panel onto and in order to control the charging, it enables the
processor and blinking LEDs to show how much it is charged, plus the DC/DC
converter that is used to convert 3.x Volts from the cell to power the USB
outputs.
Result is that under ideal circumstances, half the power is used in parasitic
loads, the other half can charge the bank’s cell.
However, if the circumstances are not ideal and it is just seeing ambient
light, then there is almost no power from the solar panel. But it has enough
voltage to turn on the processor. So, after a couple hours of indirect daylight
on the solar panel, the bank is fully *dis*charged.
I plan on rewiring the solar panel directly to the cell and not enable the
processor and DC/DC converter unless using the USB output. That way it can
opportunity charge without running down.
Cor.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10