Hello Bruce,

Hope your operation goes well.  My prayers are with you.

From your information and from Tom Keenan:

Toyota is into the EV business but the dealers as Tom Keenan points out may
not be enthusiastic about selling EVs:

"If this is based on dealership interviews/meetings, then then perhaps the
dealership answer was really (...since we make less money on servicing
electrics) we don’t want to sell them. Thus, we pretend there is no demand.
"

These are a couple of links based on Bruce's email and an internet search:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-toyota-china-gac-exclusive/exclusive-toyota-plans-to-roll-into-chinas-ev-market-in-gac-motor-vehicle-idUSKCN1IJ07K
Exclusive: Toyota plans to roll into China's EV market in GAC Motor vehicle
May 17, 2018 - BEIJING (Reuters) - Toyota plans to start selling the GAC
Toyota ix4 by the end of the year. The car is a battery-powered compact SUV
based on GAC’s Trumpchi GS4, and has been in development for two years ...
***
So Toyota is getting into the EV business but in China in a Joint Venture
way:

https://wattev2buy.com/electric-vehicles/guangzhou-automobile-group-electric-vehicles/gac-gs4-ev/
Two other GAC JV models are based on the GAC Trumpchi GS4 platform, the *GAC
Mitsubishi Qizhi PHEV
<https://wattev2buy.com/electric-vehicles/gac-mitsubishi-ev-models-gac-mitsubishi-electric-car-strategy/>*,
and the *Toyota GAC iX4 BEV
<https://wattev2buy.com/electric-vehicles/guangzhou-toyota-ev-models-gac-toyota-electric-car-strategy/gac-toyota-ix4-ev-suv-specs-range-battery-price-release-date/>*