From: Lee Hart via EV
Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2018 11:48 AM
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Cc: Lee Hart
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: Toyota dealers say there is no sale$ demand.usforEVs

paul dove via EV wrote:
> I think that is true initially. But if you can get them to take the
> first bite they adapt very quickly. We bought a Model three for my
> wife to drive. She had range anxiety so we got the big battery with
> advertised 310 miles of range. When we first got it she would charge
> it every night. Last night she said to me.... I haven't charged the
> car for two weeks and I still have 80 miles range... Just saying that
> once you learn your routine and the limitations of the vehicle it
> becomes second nature and you quit worrying about it. It's getting
> someone to take the leap into the unknown that is difficult. She is
> wondering if she should have gotten the smaller battery and saved
> some money.

I've seen the same situation with my wife and our Leaf. At first, she
worried about the range. Now it no longer matters. (And this is with an
EV that only has 100 miles range at best.)

People are always the most afraid of the unknown. "What if something
goes wrong? ..." But once the fears prove unfounded, and the unknown
becomes the known, the fear vanishes. EVs become "normal", and become
the preferred solution because they are "better" than ICEs for most
people's driving.

Imagine this scenario: Suppose the first cellphones were powered by
hydrogen fuel cells. A "tank" of fuel lasts for a week, but you have to
go to a special store to "refuel" it for $10 or so. If there was no
alternative, people would adapt to it. They would learn to accept the
high cost of operation, and risk of explosions and fires if the H2 fuel
tank leaks or fails.

Then someone comes out with a battery-powered phone. It has to be
charged every night; but it can be done at home for less than a penny.
People would initially complain. "What if I run out of charge in the
middle of a movie? What if I miss an important call? What if it goes
dead in an emergency when I need to call for help? People would
initially be afraid to change, for fear of the unknown.

Yet, we all have battery-powered phones. People have adapted to their
strengths and limitations. Now they would see anything different as
"bad, scary, and inferior". No one is trying to market a fuel-powered
phone.

--
Ten Universal Truths for this holiday season:
  1. Show respect for others. Each person has a special gift.