I hear a lot of hand-waving and little data in claims about lots of change in
hydrogen technology.

For the topic of making transportation hydrogen renewable – nobody is
contesting that for the handful of cars that actually drive on Hydrogen, it is
simple to switch small scale to use full renewable. BTW, it is still an
*intent* to move to full renewable, I have not seen *commitment* for the
investment…

The big issue and you seem intent to continue to avoid that, is that switching
to Hydrogen will greatly *increase* the energy consumption compared to driving
on electricity from the grid directly using batteries. By increasing the energy
consumption (approximately 3-fold) you also increase any associated emissions.
Since Renewable Energy is still a finite resource, consuming 3 times as much
means that more non-renewable needs to be produced, unless you can find a way
to uniquely capture RE that would otherwise not be utilized – which is
sometimes possible in case of over-production of RE.

Still, the production of Hydrogen as energy carrier is about the silliest
possible solution. I have seen arguments for non-scientific people where the
claim is that H2 is the future because it is the fastest, lightest fuel
available. That is an interesting way to state the biggest hurdle for the use
of Hydrogen, the fact that it carries the least amount of energy, because it is
the lightest and therefor the most voluminous of all possible fuels.

But I understand the desire of the oil companies to maintain their markets and
models of fuel distribution, especially if the tax payers will be footing the
bill.

I have not heard much new arguments that make a case for needing H2, except
that a fast refill is possible *if* there were enough filling stations and the
intent of the industry to make all H2 from full renewable sources.
Since every H2 car on the road uses the energy of 3 similar size BEV, I am not
excited about a possible prospect of H2 in the future.
I think we already are living in the future with the current new crop of BEV.
Only that does not fit the business model of a lot of powerful people who stand
to lose money with BEV going mainstream.
That is why we see a lot of negative press about BEV and attempts to thwart
their progress.
That is nothing new, it has happened for decades.

Mark, I know you are concerned about emissions (if I remember correctly, that
was your stated reason to be interested in Renewable Energy and fuel cell
vehicles) but promoting a technology that uses 3 times the source energy of the
alternative is not a good way to achieve lower emissions, you may even cause
higher emissions from the increase in energy consumption – despite the desire
to manufacture H2 using all RE.
It is better to help find ways to fast charge BEV and *reduce* source energy
consumption, so that the available RE can power 3 times as many vehicles.
At least, that is what *I* chose to do.
Regards,
Cor.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10