That's a scary thought. I don't see it happening though. And I think the reason lies in the balance between home charging and public EVSE charging. As long as there are enough people home charging, they won't be complacent to demands by power company lawyers.

But I think there will also be a significant number - maybe 50% - of people who will use public EVSEs. These would include people taking road trips or extra long day excursions. But also includes people who cannot charge at home. More and more people are moving from farm to suburbs and from suburbs to cities. Many live in places without dedicated parking or any private parking at all. If they own a car, they will use public charging. Also, as ride sharing (through companies like uber or car2go) increases, so will the need for fast charging at public EVSEs. I maintain that there will be significant demand.

Peri

------ Original Message ------
From: "Lee Hart via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Cc: "Lee Hart" <leeah...@earthlink.net>
Sent: 17-Feb-19 11:20:15 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Oil &utilities buying up EVSE.net charging> fossil buy-in

Robert Bruninga via EV wrote:
If I know I can always charge at home, I will not twiddle my thumbs at a 20
minute FILLUP convenience store, but will only putin 5 minutes of charge to
get home and fill up there.

Ah, but you underestimate the power of lawyers, laws, and money.

What if they pass laws that make it illegal to charge your EV at home, because it's
"dangerous"? After all, some states do not allow you to pump your own gas, supposedly for
"safety" reasons.

What if the power companies rig things so they "own" the electricity in your EV's
battery, so they can take it back for P2G to handle peak demands on the grid? Since they
"own" it, they can control when and where it can be put in or taken back out.

What if EVs are only provided with special patented licensed charging
connectors, which cannot be sold for installation in private dwellings?

The oil companies are only getting involved in EV charging to make money.
Restricting access to increase prices is bound to be a part of their plan.

-- Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more
violent. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage, to move
in the opposite direction. -- Albert Einstein