Darryl McMahon via EV wrote:
Pardon my cynicism, but what if the oil industry's interest in EV
charging stations is not simply a relatively benign profit motive?

I'd say the best-case scenario is that the oil industry simply wants to make money off EV charging. In that case, they would simply attempt to monopolize it, and jack up prices.

The worst-case scenarios are a lot darker. They could buy the charging infrastructure just to shut it down.

Remember how the auto companies bought out their EV competitors in the early days, and shut them down? Or how the trolley cars were bought up and dismantled to promote city bus sales? Or how fast the Magnecharger network disappeared when GM crushed their EV-1s? Or how fast Nimh EV batteries became "unobtainium" as soon as Texaco and then Chevron got hold of the patents?

My worst fear is that someone will buy out Tesla, and then proceed to systematically destroy it.

--
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more
violent. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage, to move