> a $250 generator won’t power your house. Maybe a few appliances.

Can do mine.  I need about 100W to power all the lights in the house that I
need (20 or so LED's)
I need about 250W to power the refrigerator (50% duty cycle)

A small generator can do that nicely!

I do not need anything else during grid down.  But then I have not used a
generator in years.  I just plug the house into the 2 kW available from My
Chevy Volt.  Or the 1 kW from the Prius.

Dont need no stinkin generator.
Oh, and while the sun is up, I have 16 kW of solar power...(DC, but the
Sunny Boy inverters now include 1.5kW of grid-down AC as well per
inverter)...

Bob, Wb4APR