Lawrence Rhodes via EV wrote:
  The Lightyear is a good first attempt. However it is too heavy for the solar
panel and too expensive. The sub 1000 pound weight of the Stella solar cars is
what made them viable. Who needs air bags when you have 5 point seat belts.
Lawrence Rhodes

Alas, air bags are required in the USA.

I remember when I built my first EV in Michigan. To license and register it, it had to pass inspection. The inspection required (among other things) an "exhaust system". Never mind that it didn't need one; I had to install an exhaust pipe to pass the inspection.

On an expensive car, Americans are also going to insist on air conditioning, high-end stereo, NAV system, power windows and seats, etc. All these luxuries add cost and weight and consume power.

If you can't ban someing outright, then legislate it to death.

--
Whether we or our politicians know it or not, Nature is party to all
our deals and decisions, and she has more votes, a longer memory,