Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
In other words, when cold, the voltage drops below the safe minimum
rated value ? But if warmed up, the voltage rises enough to use the cell
longer ?

Yes. You've got it!

Ok, then why don't battery heaters - which I thought the Bolt & Tesla
have - give a good winter range ?

They *do* work (at least, I assume they do). I have a 2013 Leaf. In the summer, it gets 80-100 miles range. In the winter when it sits outside at 0 deg.F, it gets 30-40 miles range. But if it's in the garage (at about 50 deg.F) and we drive it at 0 deg.F, the range is 60-70 miles.

Now, there is some loss of range from other sources. In winter, the heater is on; that takes power. The tires are stiffer, the road may be wet or snow-covered, the lubricants are thicker, there may be snow or ice on the car that add weight and worsen aerodynamices, etc.

On battery heaters: Where does it get its power? On the Leaf, it is powered by the battery, but doesn't turn on until -14 deg.F. So it has no effect until it *really* gets cold! How do the ones in the Tesla or Bolt work?

--
There is a computer disease that anybody who works with computers knows
about. It's very serious, and interferes completely with your work. The