Ok, case closed !
Thanks everyone for your input.
Peri

------ Original Message ------
From: "Lee Hart" <leeah...@earthlink.net>
To: "Peri Hartman" <pe...@kotatko.com>; "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: 10-Sep-19 2:19:14 PM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] li ion battery in cold weather

Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
I'm really surprised the "balance" is so poor...  My guess is that there's
virtually no insulation and the manufacturers are skimping because it won't
matter so much to the current buyers.

I think that is exactly it. Also, the big automakers have so little experience
with EVs that they don't realize they need battery insulation. And, they don't
tend to listen to advice from outside the company.

I've learned myself that even 1" of styrafoam insulation is enough to keep a
half ton of batteries at 70 deg.F with just 100-200w of heat. A 30 KHW battery pack
could supply 100w for almost 2 weeks! And if you leave the card plugged in, that
100w can come from the AC line; not the pack itself.

-- There is a computer disease that anybody who works with computers knows
about. It's very serious, and interferes completely with your work. The
trouble with computers is that you 'play' with them! (Richard Feynman)