I'm not interested in hybrid vehicles (we have a hybrid garage/fleet at
our house -- two used LEAF's and one ICE CX-5), but the Wankel has been
used to good effect as a stationary industrial engine.  In this
application they can be quite efficient since they usually run at a
constant RPM, and they are also pretty clean since they're usually
fueled by natural gas/propane.  Maybe they have something similar in
mind for the range-extender application.

Regards,

Marion