If California loses its ability to directly set higher state-level
emissions standards (states rights?) ... expect to see workarounds tried.

The CA agreement with several automakers is one approach. Stationary and
portable air scrubbers* in cities and along highways are another approach
(possibly with incentives to install them). Increased EV rebates are yet
another. These approaches could be funded by a combination of increased
fuel taxes, ICE-specific sales taxes/surcharges, and ICE-specific
registration fees**. There could also be specific sales surcharges for
vehicles or manufacturers that don't meet state standards. No need to ban
any particular vehicle from sale. The market will respond to the price
signals.

The CCL's carbon tax and dividend funding model could be adapted into a
vehicle pollution tax and dividend to keep things revenue-neutral. The
minimum goal for air scrubbing would be to at least maintain current air
quality at each measurement location.

* Tesla Model S and X vehicles with the HEPA air filtration feature might
also qualify as air scrubbers. They're able to reduce PM2.5 pollution both
in the cabin and in the surrounding air.
https://www.tesla.com/blog/putting-tesla-hepa-filter-and-bioweapon-defense-mode-to-the-test

**There is a certain parallel between ICE-specific fees used to pay to
clean the air, and the EV fees added by some states ostensibly to offset
lost fuel tax revenue (the fees generally grossly exceeds the lost revenue,
especially when handled as a flat rate fee in contrast to an
axle-weight-mile fee).