(post resent #2)
[ref
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Hell-yeah-bring-on-Texas-Gigafactory-li-on-needed4-Cybertruck-tp4696339.html
]

%(I request TX locals post their views on the following to
bring balance to this thread. Others may comment, but I'd
like to hear from the Texans its going to affect. I'm going
to make a whole lot of assumptions ... )

I'm all for .us jobs, but (if Tesla is serious) ...
? Where in TX should they grab a large piece of land for
a giga battery, a possible future (e-truck) manufacturing
plant, and more future growth?

Austin TV media is excited the idea having them near:
https://www.kvue.com/article/money/economy/boomtown-2040/is-tesla-building-a-factory-in-austin-texas/269-9fc0ff04-4d2a-447c-b4bc-3c4ad6227425
 ... a the 2min point of the video, they mention Apple,
Amazon, Google (+more) are already crowding up Austin's
already jammed area. Soon the smogging of vehicles will be
required (yup, the air is polluted in Austin).

Unmanaged insane (Silicon Valley, CA) type growth is what I
ran away from to become a Texan. But, Texas is huge and
there are many other places in TX that would work well for
Tesla's needs.

I'm not an expert on site planning, and I'm sure Tesla has
a team to make these decisions. But if I may suggest that
Tesla not build near already overcrowded large cities.
Similar to Tesla's Deercreek site in Palo Alto for R&D,
Tesla could build a R&D site near Austin's Silicon-Hills
area (Austin's Silicon Valley wannabe region).

But, imo, put the TX gigafactory in the panhandle or
western region where it is much more affordable, far
less crowded, and is not that far from Midland and
Odessa's oil fields to attract workers for Tesla.

So, why did Tesla choose the NV gigafactory site?

https://goo.gl/maps/fRhRTkwy6YEyGNRa7
 map nv gigafactory

Though its address sez Sparks its actually 20mi east of
Sparks
https://goo.gl/maps/FLxDPZwJbJ6VU6ss6
 map

The land there looks like moon-scape desert. If Tesla
can build there, then they can build just about anywhere.
That location is close to I-80 which lets Tesla truck
their li-ion packs to either their Manteca-CA site or
to the Fremont-CA (nummi) manufacturing plant.
Essentially, hwy access is a must for any Tesla site.

TX land price vary greatly according to how close you
get to big cities. There is a 4fold/4x difference in
pricing between TX panhandle land and anything near
Austin, Dallas, etc.

https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/rural-land/#!/state/Texas/region/Panhandle_and_South_Plains
 Panhandle land prices

Even where I first stayed in TX for a year, South of Waco,
in the Temple area, is now growing very quickly from the
push from cities north of Austin (Georgetown, Round-rock,
etc.).

There is a SpaceX site north East of that area (McGregor)
on awful farmland (huge white quartz chunks in thin soil
growing field corn. I feel sorry for the farmers' discing
being chewed up on that seriosly rocky soil). Despite how
run down that area looks, speculators have grabbed it up,
thus land and homes are way overpriced for what you are
getting.

No, (imo) there are 2 areas of TX Tesla should consider:
-the panhandle area (Amarillo south to north of Big_Spring)
- and far west TX (i.e.: Van Horn, south of Midland's oil
fields)

Both these have access to Hwy's (I-40, I-20, I-10), the
land prices are affordable, +more.

https://goo.gl/maps/177emsuusLZeHXfcA
 map happy, tx (panhandle: south of Amerillo, north of
plainview)

https://www.landsoftexas.com/Happy-TX/all-land/no-house/for-sale/is-active/
 land4 sale happy, tx (cheap)

https://goo.gl/maps/sXPfiAGA7JE158Mw6
 map vanhorn (far west tx is cheapest)

Tesla is big on using renewable energy. Besides having roof
PVs on their buildings (like the the NV site), TX has plenty
of wind farm energy sites:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_Texas#Large_wind_farms_in_Texas

And lastly, a news item suggests Mexico would be a better
site location than Texas:

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/02/09/why-giga-mexico-offers-tesla-advantages-that-giga-texas-cant-match/

 ... I do not agree. U.S. American made Tesla EVs are a strong
selling point. There are plenty of Texans wanting to work.%

For EVLN EV-newswire posts view:
 https://mail-archive.com/ev@lists.evdl.org/maillist.html

{brucedp.neocities.org}